Random Chit Chat

Some people really can remain friends after a break up and actually become good friends. Unless the texting turns into flirty text or something that you think isn't appropriate considering she's in a relationship then mention it to her. For now, it sounds like she might just need and want a friend.

Haha, yeah. He did post in the right section though because of the "randomness".

I decided to not get L4D and instead get Bioshock.

EDIT - Is there a way to disable the second PCI-E slot? I want to turn off my 8800GT when not in use so my PC won't run so hot. However I don't want to take it out and put it back in whenever I want to use physx.

just dissable it?

Also.

i HATE when people copy/paste there entire PCs states asking us to help pick what to upgrade. its like wtf.
do you really think we need all, ALL of that crap talking about your USB ports an junk? ugh...

--------------------------------------------------------

Dedicated to my Gram whom i had just lost today to Cancer.
Always in my heart.

Sorry for your loss.

I decided to just clean my heatsink and stuff, and it dropped down a few Celsius. Still hot, but I will be taking my 8800GT out when I'm done playing Batman.

Jeez, I've been soldering for 15 straight hours. My CPU is starting to look an awful lot like the Cray 3.

Here's a picture of where I am now.

2010-10-30105901.jpg

Does anyone know of a good Instant Messenger for Ubuntu?

Ubuntu has one. It's called Empathy I think. Pidgin is also a good one.

How's this? http://compare.ebay.com/like/160488...ffe8d13&itemid=160488379099&ff4=263602_304662

I wouldn't spend any money on such an old machine though.

That'll do fine. $23 isn't that much. This machine may be 10 years old, but its original dual 500 MHz G4 CPUs were upgraded to dual 1.3 GHz before I got it, and I could run Leopard on this thing if the GPU had the acceleration power. Not that outdated, imo. And it's a cool machine, and I enjoy maxing out old stuff, expecially Macs.

That'll do fine. $23 isn't that much. This machine may be 10 years old, but its original dual 500 MHz G4 CPUs were upgraded to dual 1.3 GHz before I got it, and I could run Leopard on this thing if the GPU had the acceleration power. Not that outdated, imo. And it's a cool machine, and I enjoy maxing out old stuff, expecially Macs.

Allright then. My point was that getting a somewhat better GPU won't really add anything. Any games will still run horrible, and general usage will still be just fine. It's really a waste of money unless video playback is choppy or something.

I just realized that my BD-ROM drive can also play HD DVDs. They're even cheaper than regular DVDs nowadays. I can finally get Planet Earth.

Allright then. My point was that getting a somewhat better GPU won't really add anything. Any games will still run horrible, and general usage will still be just fine. It's really a waste of money unless video playback is choppy or something.

Actually, web browsing with FF is very choppy, and it's not the CPUs. Everything else is more or less choppy, from window moving to the bouncing Dock icons. Sure, maybe a resolution of 1600x1200 doesn't help, but I need a larger desktop workspace than 1024x768. And I plan to buy AOM for Mac soon, and 16 MB VRAM isn't going to cut it.
Thanks for your advice :) I appreciate it. I'd rep you if I could.
Also, do you know what OS X 10.5 uses OpenGL2 for? I read on LowEndMac that the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro with 128 MB VRAM uses that, and they recommended that GPU as a good one for 10.5. $100 on eBay though :(.

Installed Leopard today. Some of the apps don't work, and it's as choppy as Tiger, but I'm thrilled it works. Part of the reason it was slow the first time was because of Spotlight's indexing. Should've waited a couple hours before I formatted lol. Many Leopard apps don't work either, they give me a we-want-a-better-GPU error. Opera no longer has those typing delay problems, and I found a PPC version of Google Chrome developed by a third party. Doesn't transfer cookies across tabs, but it works and it's very fast. Still in beta stage though, I can't wait until they go stable.
http://www.stainlessapp.com/

Back
Top Bottom