Which operating system?

Navigator01

Solid State Member
Okay so I have all the parts ready to buy for my first build ( thanks to you guys :) ) and Im not sure which operating system to buy. Of course I want windows 7, but on newegg there is one called "windows 7 for system builders" and one just normal windows 7, which one do I get if im building my pc?

Thank you!

The "system builders" is typically cheaper but might require you to buy a piece of hardware with it as it's intended for using with a new build. Standard OEM is cheaper than the retail but can legally only be used on one computer and not transfered (obvious exception being replacing failed parts). Retail you can transfer from one system to another so long as it is not installed on both machines at the same time.

As for newegg, I'm not sure if their standard windows 7 is OEM or Retail... Either way, if you can get away with it, I'd get system builder. My experience has been that because I have gotten hardware from them already, I can just get those kinds of operating systems without issue.

This is what it means...

"Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings."

If you buy that, it's expected you're reselling the computer you're building. As such, you'd be the support for whoever buys it. Microsoft doesn't provide support for the OEM versions if anyone has problems.

The person using the computer gets all the things through Windows Update like usual though.

The OEM version also normally comes with an activation scheme that's a bit different, and it gets tied to the individual machine. You can't transfer over to something else later if you'd need to, unlike normal activation.

I'd also add that unless you're sure you need a couple features like BitLocker and the ability to use language packs this round, there's likely no need for the Ultimate version. The extra features it includes -- identical to Enterprise -- are mainly useful in business environments. Ultimate is really just the way for consumers to get that version this round, though most people don't need it. There aren't Ultimate "Extras" unlike happened (sort of) with Vista, and all versions will perform the same.

Hope this helps :D

Back
Top Bottom