Proper amount of time to reply to a job offer?

superman22x

Golden Master
What would be a proper amount of time in your opinion? 4 weeks ago, I had 4 interviews for co-op or intern positions. Mercury Marine in Fond Du Lac, WI was one of them and they just got back to me and want to have me come to the plant in Fond Du Lac for a tour and all. It's 300 miles south so they are paying for me to stay the night, gas, having me miss classes and so on. But I also had an interview with Oshkosh corporation, and they haven't got back to me yet with a yes or no. I would rather see what they say before I say yes to Mercury if they offer me a job while I'm down there. So how long do you think would be too long to wait to reply to Mercury?

In short, it differs from company to company. Some might want a hard yes / no response while you're there, others might be prepared to wait a couple of weeks. The best thing to do is ask them when you need to make a decision by, that'll give you your timeframe. You could also (politely) ask Oshkosh when they're likely to get back to you with results if they haven't said already - such a question shouldn't go down badly, if anything I'd say it shows enthusiasm which is a good thing.

I would call back as soon as possible. I usually wait about a week. There hasn't been a job that I applied for which I didn't get. You lose nothing by repeatedly calling them. They will see it as perseverance. If they don't want to give you the position, they won't. At least you know you tried.

go see them.

Reply to their offer positively within a week.

If they offer you a job whilst you are down there, let them know that it's a long way from your home, and whilst you don't think that's a problem it's going to be something that you will need to consider.

Basically tell them that you're thrilled to have gotten an offer from them, but you need to sleep on it before accepting it.
after you've been down there reply to their offer of a job (one way or another) within a week.

To be honest, if the other place haven't gotten back to you within four weeks then things aren't looking great.
push back your visit to Mercury as late as possible, (that'll add another week or two).
then go down there, and tell them you want to sleep on it, reply within 1 week of your visit.

then you'll have waited 7 weeks for the other place to get back to you. if they haven't let you know one way or another within 7 weeks then there is a good chance that you haven't gotten the job.

OR,
Call the other place, ask to speak to the interviewer, tell them that you came for an interview several weeks ago, and you need to know what has happened regarding your application, tell them that you really want to work for their company and have received an offer from an another place, and you'll need to know what they are doing to help you make that decision of whether to accept.

I would just call Oshkosh and ask them where you stand. Just tell them you are checking on your application and interview.

go see them.

Reply to their offer positively within a week.

If they offer you a job whilst you are down there, let them know that it's a long way from your home, and whilst you don't think that's a problem it's going to be something that you will need to consider.

Basically tell them that you're thrilled to have gotten an offer from them, but you need to sleep on it before accepting it.
after you've been down there reply to their offer of a job (one way or another) within a week.

To be honest, if the other place haven't gotten back to you within four weeks then things aren't looking great.
push back your visit to Mercury as late as possible, (that'll add another week or two).
then go down there, and tell them you want to sleep on it, reply within 1 week of your visit.

then you'll have waited 7 weeks for the other place to get back to you. if they haven't let you know one way or another within 7 weeks then there is a good chance that you haven't gotten the job.

OR,
Call the other place, ask to speak to the interviewer, tell them that you came for an interview several weeks ago, and you need to know what has happened regarding your application, tell them that you really want to work for their company and have received an offer from an another place, and you'll need to know what they are doing to help you make that decision of whether to accept.
4 weeks is not any long time. My roommate also interviewed and received a no right away. They said if you haven't heard back, it means you are still in the running. There are a lot of schools they go to interview at. I'll give them a call, I think I still have the guys business card around.

I had a similar delema back in April.

When I was interviewing for internships I applied everywhere that I could get my foot in the door. All of the places I interviewed did ask if I had applied and had interviews planned with other companies and I told them yes (always best for buying time). A week after my last planned interview (with Briggs and Stratton) a company named RedPrairie called me after seeing my resume on my school's job site and had an interview with them in a week. Three days later, Briggs called and offered me the job. I told them that I still had one last interview that I needed to go to like I told the interviewer and felt I should be polite and not waste their time so I was able to get two weeks to get Briggs a response.

In the end I did, I did get a job offer from RP (a day after the interview) and I didn't burn that bridge with Briggs. After I declined the briggs offer, the manager of the department I interviewed for emailed me and told me if I ever needed a job to talk to him and he would make work for me.

So long story short, be polite and if asked, always say you have more interviews. It can buy you some needed time to wait for a response from other companies without making you out as an ass.

4 weeks is not any long time. My roommate also interviewed and received a no right away. They said if you haven't heard back, it means you are still in the running. There are a lot of schools they go to interview at. I'll give them a call, I think I still have the guys business card around.

hmmm, you're right, 4 weeks, isn't too long. but that wasn't really the point. -you think that if you don't hear back you're still in the running, but exactly how long do you wait? 6 weeks, 8 weeks, 12 weeks? -12 weeks is getting up for a quarter of a year! can you afford to be out of work that long turning down other jobs perhaps waiting for an acceptance phone call that just might never come...

I stand by what I said above, push back your visit to the other place a couple of weeks, just tell them that you can't make it straight away.

then tell them that you need to sleep on it. (unless it turn out to be a really crappy place, then clearly just tell them no).

give them a call within a week of visiting...

if you go with the time lines that I'd originally said pushing things back as much as possible then you'll have waited two months. that's long enough in my book.

Well, it's not a job as much as an internship which is why Oshkosh is slow since no matter what, no one is starting until May for them.
But I went to Mercury yesterday and it was a nice place. They didn't give me a job offer down there though, and I hope they will call soon with one. If they do, I think I am going to take it too.

Back
Top Bottom