recovery

blando233

In Runtime
Just wondering this enver happened to me but id like to know for future..say a hard drive doesnt work or gets lots of viruses..How would you get files off of it?

Depends on what's wrong with it.

Crashed (mechanical problem) - your kind of stuck here. You'll need sofisticated software to get anything off of it, and even then it's not a guarentee.

Virus - I usually just take it out of the computer, hook it up via USB to IDE cable, browse to the folders I need data from and copy them over. Then reload it and copy the folders back.

Virus - I usually just take it out of the computer, hook it up via USB to IDE cable, browse to the folders I need data from and copy them over. Then reload it and copy the folders back.

Is this only possible if the OS install doesn't have an administrator password configured to it?

Not necissarily. You can take ownership of the file once you have it hooked to your computer.

Ok thanks man for the info..ill have to try that out when time comes..ill have to figure out if the system crashes like what i might be able to use to atleast try to see if i can get whatever off.

got question if i switch out a CPU at anytime shouldn't have like any effect to the pc like lose info which im sure doesn't..but just asking to make sure. I know like if you took a hard drive out of one machine then stuck it into another wouldn't work properly because its a totally different machine. But i was just curious i did it before i just don't remember if it had any effect. I dont think it did.

A CPU upgrade in the same family generally won't give you issues. There was a time where people would switch from single core Athlons to the dual cores and still only see the one core. It shouldn't be a problem in today's Vista/7 era, though just be aware of it. Check for all your cores / clock speed when you get into the OS.

basically all i was going to do is just upgrade the ghz of the CPU like same dual Core just more ghz. Its for someone that wants to upgrade there CPU they wanted the same one so i suggested more GHZ they have enough ram.

Shouldn't be a problem, though it depends on how much faster you want to take them - there's a law of diminishing returns in the same CPU family, and unless they're starting out with something like a 1.8 or 1.86 GHz CPU and going to 2.9 or 2.93, they won't get much of an increase, and that increase depends on what they're doing with the system as well.

hmm..basically from 1. somthing to 2.99 ghz and they are basically only useing there comp for internet use and documents..no gaming or anything

it would be a waste of money to upgrade if that's all they're doing. 3.x GHz is way overkill for that kind of thing. We have a ton of 1.86 GHz Core 2 Duo's here at work that handle those tasks just fine.

Back
Top Bottom