building new computer need help

truesony

Baseband Member
ok so i am building a new computer and i would like some help making sure everything will work and to see if this is truly what i want.

to start it off this is the build i have set up now.

AZZA Solano 1000 ATX Full Tower Computer Case

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO ATX AMD Motherboard

MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi)

KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-1000MA1S 1000W power Supply

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB

and i already have my hdd's, OS, and dvd drives.

so my first question is will my video card be strong enough for the years to come? i do plan on getting two of them.

then i have heard about tri-channel ram. i am pretty sure i want this if i would like a good computer that will last can someone direct in this direction and explain what Tri-channel ram really is?

then i really like this processor i am using the 965 quad core right now. and was wondering if there is a noticeable difference between the two.

my processor now

and lastly i want to just ask if SLI is similar to Crossfirex?

thank you for your help and PLEASE DO NOT POST IF IT IS NOT HELPFUL.

total price from newegg is $1060.91

The GTX 460 would do me fine for the next five years, I don't game much, but it might last a hardcore gamer a year. It depends on what games you play and at what resolution.

The AMD Phenom II X6 1090T and the Phenom II 965 support dual channel RAM and using tri-channel RAM won't make any difference; the third stick would operate in single channel mode. The memory controller on the 1090 and 965 can only access banks of two RAM sticks simultaneously whereas tri-channel controllers, like those on the LGA1366 i7's, can access banks of three RAM sticks simultaneously. Your better off using two or four RAM sticks.

The 1090T CPU is absolutely brilliant at working through very heavily multi-threaded applications but that's it. Unless your running those types of applications I would stick with the 965.

The GTX 460 would do me fine for the next five years, I don't game much, but it might last a hardcore gamer a year. It depends on what games you play and at what resolution.

i will be playing every new game that comes out, theoretically. i really do need the best video card i can get. i do plan on getting two cards. Is the GTX the best thing i can get. i do not want a $1000 video card. so lets budget for a single card under $500.

The 1090T CPU is absolutely brilliant at working through very heavily multi-threaded applications but that's it. Unless your running those types of applications I would stick with the 965.

will the 965 last me in video editing, sound editing, gaming, and graphical design for years to come? i do all of these and i am unsure what i need. i edit video and sound at the same time through different applications so will this processor (965) allow me to work at my best without and unexpected delays.

thank you both for replying so quickly

i will be playing every new game that comes out, theoretically. i really do need the best video card i can get. i do plan on getting two cards. Is the GTX the best thing i can get. i do not want a $1000 video card. so lets budget for a single card under $500.

If it were me i'd go for wither the HD5870 or GTX480. Yea I know the GTX480 is a little over priced but it's a great performer. But then again i'd probably save another $100 and go for the HD5970.

will the 965 last me in video editing, sound editing, gaming, and graphical design for years to come? i do all of these and i am unsure what i need. i edit video and sound at the same time through different applications so will this processor (965) allow me to work at my best without and unexpected delays.

So the GTX 480 might suit you better with it's CUDA feature set? This is an area i'm still learning but I reckon the nVidia's CUDA will suit 3D design better than the ATI equivalent.

And usually the decent Audio/Video Editing and graphical design applications are multi-thread enabled so in this case the six core would be worth your while. It's why I upgraded last year.

Oh, and consider a nice, fast, hard drive to stream your audio/video. It makes a difference.

If it were me i'd go for wither the HD5870 or GTX480. Yea I know the GTX480 is a little over priced but it's a great performer. But then again i'd probably save another $100 and go for the HD5970.

what is the difference between these cards...

here

So the GTX 480 might suit you better with it's CUDA feature set? This is an area i'm still learning but I reckon the nVidia's CUDA will suit 3D design better than the ATI equivalent.

And usually the decent Audio/Video Editing and graphical design applications are multi-thread enabled so in this case the six core would be worth your while. It's why I upgraded last year.

Oh, and consider a nice, fast, hard drive to stream your audio/video. It makes a difference.

so ive heard mixed reviews about ssd i know what it is but i dont want to buy a small drive if it will not last long. now on my current computer i have a 1 tb HDD and it is full to the brim with games music, video, and graphics. if i spend the $150 for a 60gb drive will i see a huge difference? i would run my OS and some games off of it...

so ive heard mixed reviews about ssd i know what it is but i dont want to buy a small drive if it will not last long. now on my current computer i have a 1 tb HDD and it is full to the brim with games music, video, and graphics. if i spend the $150 for a 60gb drive will i see a huge difference? i would run my OS and some games off of it...

I'm not referring to the SSD's, I think they're highly over-rated and over-priced. I'm referring to a platter hard drive that can sustain high read/write transfers. Something like the Samsung Spinpoint F3's and WD Caviar Blacks. Something you can stream your work from in real time to the Audio/Video editing programs.

what is the difference between these cards...

here

I'm not sure what the difference is between the cards, apart from the features and different branding, but these are the kind of cards i'd go to if I had that kind of budget.

i have two 4870's at the moment how does this compare to 1 5970? my 4870s are radeon hd 4870 512mb.

seeing as two of the5970's run me out of money quickly is there an alternative that is cheaper that produces a close comparison?

or is one of the 5970's enough?

or should i throw my money away and buy this baby instead?

GOD

Back
Top Bottom