How to recover data after a virus?

sonjeriff

Beta member
My labtop was infected by a trojan virus i was not able to restore from an earlier setting. I did get rid of the virus and reinstalled windows vista but now i want to recover my word documents and pictures and other programs but i do not know how. How can i recover all my data?

If you reinstalled Windows, then chances are your data has been overwritten. Someone on here mentioned some inexpensive software that supposedly will recover the data, but I've yet to see that actually work. Usually you would have to hire a data recovery service at a hefty price to recover data that has been overwritten. Maybe the guy who was talking about this cheap recovery software will chime in.

There's also the possibility that Windows moved all your data to the Windows.old folder as Vista and 7 do when you install on a drive that already has a Windows installation on it.

Edit: Do a virus scan before accessing any of that data

Files and folders deleted by windows aren't really gone. The bits are still set on the disk, but the entry in the file allocation table has been deleted. If you did a quick reformat before installing windows again it's probably all still there, since the base windows installation usually goes in the same place on the disk. However, there is a very good chance some of that data has been overwritten, since the operating system looks at it as blank space, and will put things there if it has to.

If your drive was very fragmented then the process becomes even more difficult. The first time I restored a disk it had high fragmentation and I ended up with 300 copies of one large file, none of them usable, and with no direction for how to put them back together. Though some of the better software products might be able to handle this.

So in conclusion, data recovery can be done, and there is a lot of software (some free some not) to do it, but it's not a sure thing.

Hello sonjeriff,

It is rare to get back your data after restore your system but you should try at least once. You should simply try a good data recovery software like Kernel for recover lost data software in which you can preview the data of your hdd drive in scanning mode and the deleted, missed formatted data will be show there in red color, if you find your data in scanning then you can easily save the lost data to any desired location. You can check the demo version for the working of the software and the data is available or not?

i also faced the same issues which you are facing and my friend told me about "ijinni technician" i contacted them at WWW dot ijinni dot COM.any issues. just open the website and you can chat with the experts who are Microsoft certified technicians and will fix the issue itself on the spot or u can call them through Skype or contact and for more visit their website as it is very user friendly website. just click on the chat as the response rate will be very fast from them and they have fixed my issues in no time.

Back
Top Bottom