Saving a file on networked computer

BrianS

In Runtime
I believe this is a networking problem...

I have 2 computers. Computer 1 and 2. On computer 1 I have a folder with an Excel spread sheet in it. On computer 2 I mapped the network drive to the folder and can read the spread sheet. However when I try to save it I get the following error:

Access denied. Contact your administrator.

Can someone please tell me how to set up the permissions so that I can save that file? Eventually I will need to have 5 different computers be able to read and write to that spreadsheet. All are on the same network and the same workgroup.

You need to go the computer 1 and go to the PROPERTIES>SECURITY TAB and allow EVERYONE to have modify rights. You might also have to do it on the SHARING tab as well.

The file is hosted on a windows XP Professional Machine and all the other machines are running XP Pro or Home.

Hmm...that's makes it more complicated as I was expecting you to say Vista.

Do you have username/passwords setup on any of the computers? Make sure that they are allowed access as well. Did you give the file the rights or the folder it's in? You might have to also give the write right to whatever folder the file is in.

all the computers have passwords on them. I gave both the file and the folder permissions so that everyone has Full Access

Did you put the user EVERYONE or did you put each username? There is a username called EVERYONE.

When you are specifying the username are you including the computername? For example, if you have a user called Fred on a computer with a hostname of Comp2 are you adding the user Comp2\Fred and giving this user Full Control? I'm assuming you're not using a domain here.

Back
Top Bottom