Ram question

TP-Oreilly

In Runtime
Hi, ive always thought my ram had a speed of 1066, but i looked inside my case, and on th sticker on the ram it said "pc3 12800", on the ocz website (which is my ram brand), and it says the speed of pc3 12800 is 1600.

To double check, i looked in everest, it calls me ram:

"Module Name OCZ Gold XTC OCZ3G1600LV1G"

so im guessing my ram speed is 1600.

BUT

In everest it says that the speed of my ram is 1066, see below:

"Memory Speed DDR3-1066 (533 MHz)"

Plus, im sure that it says my ram is 1066 in the bios

why dont it say 1600?

p.s

In the post screen on boot, it says my ram speed is 1066

Depending on if your motherboard supports it, you may be able to overclock your RAM to 1600 (or maybe a little faster than 1066 anyways). Check the manual that came with your motherboard, it should tell you if overclocking RAM is possible.

Yeah i can overclock it, but im trying to find out why it doesnt run at 1600 anyway.

If its 1600 ram should it not run at that @ stock

Ah, additonal information, my motherboard doesnt support 1600, on the website it says:

"# Support for DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules "

Ok, maybe i cant have 1600, BUT, i can have 1333

??

Also, just looked at my processor on the intel site, i7 930, and it says the types are "DDR3-800/1066", whatt, does that mean that the max i can have is 1066, everrr?

Why can't you run the RAM at it's native speed?

Either adjust your RAM multiplier or overclock the BaseClLocK. Simple stuff. It supports DDR 2200!!! so it will and can run at 1600Mhz.

My motherboard defaulted to 1066Mhz RAM speeds but I went into the BIOS and set it all up. I think the native speed of RAM controllers in i7's is 1066Mhz which is why boards default to this setting.

whats native speed? lol if i overclock it, should i be cautious about temps of the ram?

Kind of like: the native speed of my i7 920 is 2.66Mhz but I choose to overclock it to a minimum of 3.2Ghz.

But yea just don't go over the max voltage for the RAM and your good. After all the RAM is supposed to run @ 1600Mhz @ so many volts. Your RAM is underclocked right now.

Can someone give me a quick guide on how to overclock to 1333 in simple terms, also, would i have to ovcerclock the cpu, i dont want to, but ive saw in forums people saying you should overclock the cpu when overclocking the ram

1.5V is good if thats what the manufacture states. My RAM is running at 1.5V even though Corsair state an operating voltage of 1.6V.

What i've done is basically manually set my CPU and RAM settings in the BIOS. This way I know what speeds my CPU and RAM are running at and even more important what the voltages are. The Turbo is great but it can go too far with the voltages settings to sustain such a small automatic over clock.

Also it's un-orthodox to have an audio computer constantly changing it's speed; it causes glitches.

EDIT: It's just taken me 25 minutes to get this to post! Dang CF Server!

Back
Top Bottom