Norton or Comodo firewall?

JAFL

Baseband Member
This is really a two part question.

1) Is the Norton Security Suite Firewall as good as Comodo?

2) If I keep Comodo, how do I make sure the Norton Security Suite firewall is completely turned off so as to not interfere with Comodo?

Currently, in this latest version of Norton, if I go to Norton > pc security > Manage firewall, I have two options:

tab 1: General Setting > which allows me to turn off 'smart firewall' and 'block all network traffic'

and also

tab 2: Intrustion and Browser protection > which allows me to turn off 'Intrustion Prevention', 'Browser protection' and 'download intelligence'.

What all do I turn off? Can I just turn off 'smart firewall' and leave the rest? Or do I need to turn it all off?

IMO Norton is a lot better than comodo.
Running two internet security suits together is not a good idea
as they will interfere with each other, one should be enough.
Make up your own mind which one.

Stick with Comodo Internet Security. It's a little more on the "need your attention" side, but this is better as you control what gains access and what does not. Norton is a system and resource hog and even though it's a paid program... they don't do really well at keeping up to date on things. Whereas with Comodo, it's free so you don't expect them to keep up with things as much, but they do.

Not exactly a tie breaker, but good browsing habits and frequent backups of important data eliminate the need for internet security software (antivirus included). If you do happen to get something nasty on your system, try running malwarebytes or something similar to get rid of it. If it's one of those persistent little bastards, reformat and reinstall the OS (that's where the frequent backups come in handy). A fresh, clean system runs so much better than a system bogged down with antivirus/internet security software anyways.

Still hoping maybe an expert here can give me some advice on the second part of my question. Thanks.

I should also make clear that * In the firewall manager, Norton won't allow me to turn off "Stealth Blocked Ports", "Stateful protocol filter", and "Automatic File/Printer Sharing control". I'm worried that if I can't turn off ALL of the firewall settings that there will be conflicts with Comodo. ?

Not exactly a tie breaker, but good browsing habits and frequent backups of important data eliminate the need for internet security software (antivirus included). If you do happen to get something nasty on your system, try running malwarebytes or something similar to get rid of it. If it's one of those persistent little bastards, reformat and reinstall the OS (that's where the frequent backups come in handy). A fresh, clean system runs so much better than a system bogged down with antivirus/internet security software anyways.
Not a very good answer if you want to do online banking, shopping, etc etc and not having having any protection what so ever.
One big Risk! Plus my system is not bogged down at all.

Back
Top Bottom