New build is very unstable, I think it may be bad ram??

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
I upgraded my PC last week to Core i7, the new parts were an MSI x58 motherboard, Intel Core i7 950 & 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator RAM. Tomorrow this build will be a week old, but in that week I've just had so many issues with it. I have had to format my PC 3 times after it would stop booting (it would just blue screen on the windows 7 boot screen, wouldnt boot into safe mode either and startup repair would just feeze). Also usually I have to restart the PC on average 3 times before it successfully makes it to Windows, sometimes it will boot but there will be no icons and a message comes up saying that was an error and windows will restart in one minute. Sometimes it will randomly blue screen after using it for a while, the last error read "page fault in non paged area". I just ran mem test on it, i've never used this program before but I stopped it after about 2 hours (got bored) but it had come up with just under 37,000 errors at this point. Would this suggest that my ram is dodgy? Its weird because sometimes the PC will run for ages before a blue screen, sometimes I wont get them at all, but generally its been as described above. Thanks for any advice and I would just like to add that this system is currently not overclocked and running at the default bios values.

If you've run memtest and it's been spitting out errors, stop posting on web forums and get your memory replaced. :)

Generally, on the first error that shows up, it's fine to stop the program.
If you need to isolate which stick is causing the problem, take the others out and test them one at a time. If it's a memory channel kit (3 DIMMs in one package for example) then go ahead and just have the maker replace all three because then they can usually guarantee that the new set will be flawless.

Also, your signature doesn't say what kind of power supply you're using. Low quality power supplies can introduce problems where there are none. In this case, a weak power supply can cause even good high quality RAM to throw errors in MemTest.

I've had this same problem with ram (on this build I'm using now, actually). Bad ram just causes over all instability with everything, it's quite a nuisance. It definitely sounds dodgy. The RAM would be my first suspect, unless you have a junky PSU or something.

Thanks for the responses. My power supply is a "Jeantech Storm" 700W, not the best ever but it wasn't cheap, it cost almost £100 a couple years ago and 700W should be more than enough for this system. However, I spoke to a friend and he tole me about XMP profiles for the RAM, I realised mine was running at 1066MHz instead of the rated 1600, so I enabled XMP in my BIOS, the memory speed went up to 1600 and I re-ran memtest, this time it completed in about 40 minutes and it said there were no errors. The system has no far remained stable so fingers crossed its ok now. If it plays up again though I will return the ram.

Back
Top Bottom