Help me decide which linux to run?

pud

In Runtime
Ive got a list of criteria the OS must be able to provide. Im hoping the minds that are up to date with infinite choices of linux may be able to help me pick a distro to try out.
My needs:
-OS must not cripple my system and run slow
-I do alot of web browsing
-streaming video, divx/xvid etc..need a good video player compatible with those type files
-Needs to be small, system is old- 60gig hdd, 512mb ram, intel single core 1.46ghz
-Needs to be pretty user friendly, the easier it is to make the transition the better

I DO NOT do :
-much word processing
-video/media editing/producing
-gaming

to sum it up, I sit on facebook, go on hotmail, surf random websites and watch movies. I work 3 weeks away from home, in the bush and use this as my connection to my wife/kids and as a source of entertainment via music/movies/browsing
Thanks for any input!

Ubuntu's a good choice. Even though this is probably a desktop computer, you might even think of going with Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook Edition. It's even more lightweight than the regular version, has a widget on the desktop with all the most-used apps divided into categories, and I imagine that the netbook edition will still have all the necessary drivers for your desktop computer.

Hi,

Personally considering the specs that you have and what you want to do with your computer, I would recommend Lubuntu. This is a lightweight version of linux based on the ubuntu core and the LXDE desktop environment. Doing a lot of web-browsing won't be a problem it uses Googles Chromium but you can get Firefox or whatever browser you want. For video browsing I am going to recommend the swiss army knife of video viewing VLC{/url] or Video Lan Client. Since you have a small laptop in terms of hdd size and speed I would recommend this OS as it is super small compared to Ubuntu, plus it will let you use your battery longer if you find that you need to go without a power source for some time.

I am not trying to say that you shouldn't give Ubuntu a look but I wouldn't recommend this for your applications. Hope this gives you some other ideas.

Cheers!

thanks guys, I downloaded puppy 5.1.1 because it was small and downloaded in 20 min...going to download lubuntu over night tonight and give it a whirl after I play around with puppy. Thanks for the input...this wasnt so hard afterall!

Im going to be spending endless hours searching google for linux distros now to see whats out there haha.

Back
Top Bottom