iPad?

So i'm considering getting an iPad. From what i can see it'd be perfect for my commute to and from work on the train. I Would be using it for Movies, Games and the internet.

Does anyone here have one? Do you like it?

I get to use ipads quite a bit at work. From my experience they are pretty solid, although some complain they are just "big ipod touches", they are good for what they are advertised for.

The movie playback is pretty good, there are several good free apps on the market for news and such. I also like the e-reader function, although if you just wanted to use it for an e-reader there would be many cheaper alternatives. Honestly if you have the money and want a good solid tablet, go ahead and get it. It is a fun little toy, and as I saw with my experience, can even be a handy little marketing/sales tool.

I've played with it in the apple store quite a bit, but my impression was more 'meh.' Gaming was seriously choppy, even for simple games. I cannot stand watching movies on a 4:3 screen, but I guess that's personal preference. Web browsing was great, but lots of pages didn't display properly, so I think I would probably use it for a while, but once the initial 'cool' factor wore off, I'd probably end up going back to my laptop.

I'd consider getting a really cheap 3g netbook (or get a non 3g one and tether your phone to it) and wait out the tablet market. I have a feeling that in year, there'll be much better tablets out there that are way cheaper. It's fine for web browsing and some mild gaming (open source and older games, not CoD or anything), and you should be able to play 720p movies on it fine. EDIT: something like this

I find that we use the ipad less of a laptop replacement, and simply a device on its own. If you compare it to most of the netbooks, sure, chances are it won't compare for web surfing. However, the gaming we have used it for has been perfectly fine, we have had no choppy issues. The video playback is good, but as foothead said, the ratio may affect you. But, to me, it is kind of like the widescreen vs. fullscreen argument, it doesnt bother me either way, but some people have problems with one or the other.

The internet browsing is great, however certain pages do not display correctly, as with most mobile devices. However, most will display just fine.

the gaming we have used it for has been perfectly fine, we have had no choppy issues.

I guess this is relative. 30 fps is painful for me, unless the screen is extremely tiny. It's that way for most PC gamers. It did feel like a bit less than 30 though. Hopefully that's been fixed with software updates since I used it, but I kinda doubt it.

The internet browsing is great, however certain pages do not display correctly, as with most mobile devices. However, most will display just fine.

I guess this is relative as well, as I tested it on the sites I frequently visit, which tend to be a lot of tech blogs, most of which heavily use flash. If all you use it for is googling stuff, email, etc. then it would probably seem like every page is fine.

I guess this is relative as well, as I tested it on the sites I frequently visit, which tend to be a lot of tech blogs, most of which heavily use flash. If all you use it for is googling stuff, email, etc. then it would probably seem like every page is fine.

^this.

Major killer is the lack of flash. I am just saying for the average websites people use, like google, email, most news networks, forums and such.

My neighbour has one. Its a nice toy but that's it for me. I'd rather use a small(ish) laptop with a 16:10 screen.

The only great use for it is as a remote DAW software controller... but it'll only work with apple hardware/software, so meh I guess.

Why the lack of flash on the ipad?

I was also reading that it's not good at multitasking either so if you want to do a number of things at once then it's not for you. A small portable laptop would probably be a lot better.

I guess this is relative. 30 fps is painful for me, unless the screen is extremely tiny. It's that way for most PC gamers. It did feel like a bit less than 30 though. Hopefully that's been fixed with software updates since I used it, but I kinda doubt it.

You are so full of it.

Why the lack of flash on the ipad?

I was also reading that it's not good at multitasking either so if you want to do a number of things at once then it's not for you. A small portable laptop would probably be a lot better.

The update for multitasking will come in November.

Back
Top Bottom