College computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

computerfix101

In Runtime
Hey you guys this is gonna be a good thread I can see it already. Well i have a laptop that i got from a recycling bin about a year ago its basically just to mess around with. I download a bunch of stuff on there and using the internet with it.
Im starting college pretty soon and im going into computer science (Hope im not regretting changing my mind from computer engineering).

Anyways, I have always looked from a computer with 4GB. I like to do alot with my computers. One thing i want to get into is Virtual Machines or Dual booting. Especially putting Mac OS X on the side of windows.

I have a debate. I don't know if i should go along with the computers with 1GB RAM and ATOM Processors for starters or get something with 4 GB of ram and a good processor.
The only thing is that my budget is really low. like around 400$.

Let me know what you guys think. I am open to suggestions at this point. Thanks for the help. Everything is appreciated.

Here is a laptop i was looking at.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s..._type=product_detail&product_code=WQ586UA#ABA

If you're going to use this computer for college, I would highly recommend a computer with CD/DVD ROM as most colleges' books today have accompanying CD's. You may have to stretch the budget just a little bit if you can, but here's a decent 2GB computer that may be right for you.

I like the idea of the Lonovo but it has bad reviews and personally I rather buy something in a local store so i don't have to rely on a website to call or return it to online.

I wanted to ask, whats your opinion on the netbook i posted a link about.

Especially putting Mac OS X on the side of windows.
You know you can't legally do that unless it's on a mac?

In short, go for a laptop. Netbooks are great for what they're designed for, but they really are just designed for a bit of casual internet usage and not a lot more. Running VMs on a netbook is going to be absolutely dog slow if it'll have the resources to work at all.

Only thing to bear in mind is at your budget you're not going to end up with anything hugely spectacular. You'll get one to get by sure, but especially since you want to buy it at a store rather than online (which usually pushes prices up a bit) you won't really find a laptop around that's going to fly when handed multiple VMs and other relatively intensive uses.

My advice therefore is find a laptop and go with it, but don't expect it to do too much.

My advice therefore is find a laptop and go with it, but don't expect it to do too much.

This.

A netbook is not something that should be used for a main computer by any means. With your budget of $400, it won't get you a laptop with 4GB of RAM anyway. I'd say some type of basic laptop with 2GB of RAM and a 15" screen is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom