Which processor would you choose?

familyman1

In Runtime
I am looking to upgrade my mobo and cpu. I can't decide between a pentium e6500 2.93GHz or a athlon II x2 255 regor 3.1GHz. Both are dual core.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!!

go with the regor im using the 240 which is the 2.8 GHz version and it is incredibly fast much faster than any pentium ive ever seen

Huh, I posted in this thread earlier, but it didn't seem to go through.

Anyway, the two are pretty much equal in performance, with the Pentium having the edge in media encoding, number crunching, and the athlon having the edge in gaming.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm actually going to spring for a x3 445. The price difference was only twenty bucks and I will see if I can turn it into a Phenom quad core. Can't wait to get that baby in!!!

As long as the board has ACC, it is possible, however those cores are often locked for a reason. I'd say the chances of complete stability are 50% or less, so don't count on it. It's still worth a shot though.

Is there any reason you are going for a DDR2 motherboard? DDR3 would be much more futureproof.

For me its all about being as future proof as possible, i would never buy a new pc each year, they have to last me for quite a while, so id get the best you possibly can get.

I am going to be using my 4GB of OCZ DDR2 ram from the old system. Can't afford to upgrade ram right now so that mobo is the best option. Trust me, I would love to go with DDR3 but have to watch the funds for a while.

Back
Top Bottom