core i7 rendering

someone told me today that it could be because my graphics card is not as good as their ones, but im 99% sure that rendering just uses cpu????

Again, it depends on what your rendering. CAD and 3D images require a lot of video power, in most cases more than CPU. It's possible the computers at school have a Nvida Quadro or ATI FireGL cards which are desired for rendering which typical GeForce and Radeon cards fail miserably at.

a mate of mine has the exact same setup as mine, and his is also fast as the colleges one, but mine aint :(, and im tlkin about 3ds max 9, it only uses cpu for rendering

a mate of mine has the exact same setup as mine, and his is also fast as the colleges one, but mine aint :(, and im tlkin about 3ds max 9, it only uses cpu for rendering

I cant see how there would be such a didfference. Have you gone into the BIOS and checked that Hyper-Threading is enabled? I'd pretty much go and check all my machine settings.

HDD speed, anyone? It has to address and retrieve files through the drive and then send them to RAM. If your HDD is considerably slower for seek or access rates...it could very well explain the increased render time.

Grantofhell has a point, but still, that much of a difference?
Has to be some kind of bottle neck going on though

Grantofhell has a point, but still, that much of a difference?
Has to be some kind of bottle neck going on though

sata 2, mines a single, and they do have two drives in theirs, but they dont use raid, they just just it as a second single hard drive for documents and stuff, i hope its not a cpu problem, or something technical like that :S.

There is an option in Max as well to enable Multi-Threading. Make sure that is ticked on yours

Back
Top Bottom