Just got my first ssd...

Gamingfreak

Fully Optimized
So i just received my first ssd, an OCZ vertex 2 and i was pretty excited to try it out. So i popped it in and put windows 7 on it then did all the tweaks like turning prefetch off etc. I then decided to try a benchmark so i downloaded the trial of hd tune and ran it. The results were pretty disappointing, first of all it spikes like crazy during the test, by about 100MB/s. Also my average read came out a lot lower than what I've seen in reviews (181MB/s). When i installed it i found out my motherboard doesn't support AHCI and i had read beforehand that ssd's perform better on that so i was expecting it to be a little lower than the reviews i read. But by about 50MB/s? Is it really that bad to be running on IDE instead?

Edit: Just wanted to add that i just ran crystaldiskinfo and the health status is only at 74%, could i have a faulty drive?

Yeah, a lot of them aren't as fast as advertised. I think the only ones that preform like they are supposed to are the Intel ones that cost a pretty penny. I've seen where the OCZ ones aren't all that fast.

The speed isn't bothering me as much as the huge spikes it gets while doing the benchmark. I've been reading some other forum posts about this and someone actually bought a second drive to test it and got much better results. I'm starting to think i got a bad drive.

Back
Top Bottom