How do you test a power supply?

ricoman

Beta member
My computer keeps kicking off. I changed my ups and it continues, so I suspect the power supply. Is there a way to check it or a diagnostic software (free) that can? Some times it will start back up on it's own, A couple of the times it went down, the normal on/off switch wouldn't work, I had to turn it on and off from the back to reset it. Any ideas that might cause this if it's not the power supply? Thanks.

Take a paper clip. On the 20pin plug, one end of paper clip into the green, one end into the black. Does it start up? It should.

Let it run for a while, does it have the same symptoms as your computer as a whole?

Ta da.

Ummm, or you can just jump the green wire to any black wire and read the voltages with a multimeter.

All that really does is test for random power dips, which usually only occur while it's under heavy load. The best way to get a good test is to force wires into the back of the plug, hook them up to the multimeter, then try to stress the system as much as possible. If the power dips significantly, there's the problem.

Back
Top Bottom