Why I like using linux more then windows

dancingmadrb3

Baseband Member
I have been using linux for about 5 years now and despite its flaws I enjoy my experience on it overall.
I have used Windows in the past and have tried windows 7 but honestly I am not impressed.
Does it look fancy? Yes
Does it work better then Vista? Yes
But is it a good successor to say XP and even 2000? Both yes and no.
Sure its taking lessons in security from unix based systems and functionality wise its good but really there is nothing on Windows 7 that I feel the need to pay $130 for in store or even $99 online.
I can get a good amount of the same features windows 7 has in linux, and for far cheaper.
Linux has its limitations but i am willing to excuse them because well, its free.
But windows is becoming more limited as time comes, and to be honest microsoft software sucks unless its office in my opinion and i think open office does a good job on that front for the most part.
The only prize winner for microsoft is gaming, and some multimedia formats like blu ray but linux is not far behind on blu ray.
But gaming, I got a console for that.
So windows is practically useless for me.
Now I know many argue a case for windows but i think I can stand up for linux

I know what you mean. It's kind of unfortunate that linux isn't more popular in the business world as a workstation OS. I would be able to use it more if it were. I am pretty impressed with Windows 7, though.

I kind of like ubuntu. but it still has people making software that is kind of lacking everything. for example there really is no media player that is a do it all player like windows media player.

and I don't like the way my mouse works. I've tried all the settings it just doesn't move right. I have to move it all the way accross the mouse pad 3 times just to get it from one side of the screen to the other.

then there are the people who still make cool software into a tar ball etc and I can't figure out how in the hell to get that to install. it's still mostly over my head.
I've been trying but I get frustrated. I'm just used to downloading stuff and windows installer installs it no matter what it is.
too bad the linux world can't get on the ball with this. some have but not enough. I also hate having to input my password every time for everything. it's worse than vista's UAC stuff.

I will say one thing. I'm not buying another OS again. Microsoft has made getting your system working again by reinstalling it a nightmare. I have one computer with vista so it will be usable for a while. but xp on my laptop is getting left behind pretty quick I've noticed. they have been working pretty quickly making xp obsolete.
so I guess I'll have to get more proficient using linux. Ubuntu is my fav.

I kind of like ubuntu. but it still has people making software that is kind of lacking everything. for example there really is no media player that is a do it all player like windows media player.

Have you tried VLC? It plays pretty much everything, although you might have to manually download and install certain codecs and libraries in order to play certain DVDs and file types.

Have you tried VLC? It plays pretty much everything, although you might have to manually download and install certain codecs and libraries in order to play certain DVDs and file types.

I'm talking about organizing my videos, pics, music etc etc too. heck I use VLC in windows sometimes because WMP10 doesn't like to play MP4 files too good on my computer. it's really glitchy.

that's an opinion. linux guys hate to admit when their stuff doesn't quite work that well I've come to notice. criticize anything with Linux and they all have a heart attack.

I honestly find more things that are not right with ubuntu, suse, fedora, etc etc than XP, Vista and 7.
sorry but I can get on a linux machine (I have it installed on 3 different computers) and there are at least a handful of quirks on each one.

I can honestly say none of my windows installs lock up or do the other things like the linux stuff does. (yes linux freezes up all the time on all 3 of the computers) and most of the time I'm forced to manually shut the computer off.
as a matter of fact I haven't seen one linux distro that I've tried not freeze up on any computer I've put it on.
those are called crashes. Linux just doesn't use a BSOD like windows.

Do I personally like Linux over Windows? no.
will I use it in the future over windows? depends if I get a free or very cheap windows install disc.
would I choose to run linux over windows. NO! not a chance. linux distros always update to a new version way too often. then if you're computer can't really run the new stuff, you're left in the dark, never anymore help or updates. no new software, no newer better drivers etc.
linux just isn't a user friendly os in my opinion. if you're really really into computers I can see you liking linux.
I just don't care enough about linux to want to use it or learn everything about it. that's just stupid. which is why linux will be that os for a select few and not the masses.
I mean you have to learn how to compile and make software to install some software. come on already..microsoft figured this point out in the early 80's. people don't want to sit at a terminal and type in lines of code to make their computer to work.

that's like saying since you drive a car you need to know how to remove the engine and put new rods in it

Windows media player is really not a do-it-all player - even on windows I use VLC and it's vastly superior. There's a general unwritten rule that if VLC won't play it, it's broke; I haven't yet found a case where this isn't true. Indeed, even if it is broken VLC can often repair it! Try putting a partially corrupt video in WMP and watch what it does - moan that it can't play it at best, and outright crash at worse. Care to describe any of the glitches you notice with it?

I can honestly say none of my windows installs lock up or do the other things like the linux stuff does. (yes linux freezes up all the time on all 3 of the computers) and most of the time I'm forced to manually shut the computer off.
as a matter of fact I haven't seen one linux distro that I've tried not freeze up on any computer I've put it on.
those are called crashes. Linux just doesn't use a BSOD like windows.
I can honestly say you're either running Linux on extensively damaged hardware, or the person installing Linux on those machines is an idiot and has done something stupid. Linux boxes are used and abused in production environments with uptimes of years, I've installed various flavours of Linux including Ubuntu many times over and only ever once noticed lock ups as you're describing. It turned out to be a faulty RAM stick, and as an aside Windows flat out refused to boot on that same hardware.

Yes, there are lots of mindless Linux fanboys out there. There's also lots of mindless Windows fanboys out there. Same for Apple. But just because there's loads of mindless fanboys for a particular product doesn't necessarily make that product bad. There are some very good reasons why you might not choose to use Linux and use Windows instead, but claiming that it's because it's always really glitchy and constantly locks up just isn't true.

I've been trying but I get frustrated. I'm just used to downloading stuff and windows installer installs it no matter what it is.
too bad the linux world can't get on the ball with this.
Err... The Linux world has been on the ball with this for a long time, and when used properly it does it much better than Windows. Have a look at your package manager...

I also hate having to input my password every time for everything. it's worse than vista's UAC stuff.
If that's the case then you've set it up wrong (have you installed everything as root or something like that?) The sandbox model, when used properly is both more secure and less invasive than UAC. The only thing I needed to routinely punch in my password for was checking for updates every week.

then there are the people who still make cool software into a tar ball etc and I can't figure out how in the hell to get that to install. it's still mostly over my head.
It's called tar and it's a simple command installed by default on pretty much every install.
http://www.computerhope.com/unix/utar.htm

see that's all of the linux guys' excuses..my computer must be old or damaged. NO, it's actually very good stuff. all middle to high end equipment on one. and the other 2 not high end at all but all work perfectly fine with XP and Vista.

how do you mess up an install? it's 100% automatic.

Back
Top Bottom