CPU remains attached when Heatsink is Removed!?!?!

Bullet Head

Beta member
Hi,

I have recently been upgrading my OPTIMA, Pentium 4, 3.00GHz pc with a new AGP graphics card and power supply etc. I am using a monitoring program from intel which shows me internal temperatures for my motherboard and CPU. They were up around 58 degrees Celsius (i have adequate ventilation) and so i decided to buy some thermal grease and attach a new heatsink and fan to the motherboard (second hand but in better condition than the current heatsink).

I was just trying to remove the old heatsink and it was very difficult to move (i had already released the clips from the retention mechanism). I finally pulled it out, but when i did i found the p4 CPU still attached to its base via the old thermal compound. :eek: I have not yet removed the heatsink holder, which is still connected to the motherboard via its push pins and blacks fasteners.

What should be my next move. I am not sure how to remove the CPU from the heatsink without damaging it. :confused:

BTW, i am currently on my laptop.

Bullet Head. ;)

You may be able to use a razer and wedge it between the bottom of the heatsink and the top of the CPU. Be very gentle so you don't screw up the CPU at all.

Worse case scenario since it's a P4 you can get another CPU for it pretty cheap if that's what it comes down too.

Ok thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try and hopefully it shall work. I might even heat it up a bit first with a hair dryer. If it does come to the point where i have to buy a new CPU, how do i find out which are compatible with my old motherboard type?

Heating it up with a hair dryer is a great idea. While I don't really recommend it, you could use a screw driver too if you don't have a razer or just simply don't trust yourself with one. They key is to just be gentile. After you get the CPU off, take a look and make sure no pins are bent. If they are, just straighten them out with the screwdriver or razer blade.

Thanks for your great help. I used my Swiss army knife and managed to separate the CPU and the heatsink. I have removed the old thermal paste with some cleaning alcohol and have applied new thermal grease. Hopefully my system will work once more, otherwise i may see myself back here. LOL.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom