looking for software free hardware

no no. no gps nothing big like that :D wht i want to do is program it to send data to my pc. it'll be connected via wireless connection.
i guess the most basic function would be to enter a few letters/numbers then press send. this data is sent to my pc via a wireless connection. at my pc, i'll b online. browser. i click refresh and i find the letters printed on the screen. thts it. thts the basic idea. it'll evolve into having a proper interface (looks and functions). but in the end thts wht it'll do. it sends strings of data to my pc

Why not use a smartphone and VNC to do this?

if you're thinking about this from a marketing point of view then it means that all users must have an iphone and thts not good. all users must be able to use the application not just those with iphones. this means i need to include more devices like nokia and blackberry. now we're talking javame. or andriod. thts a whole new thing right there. so no Organized, it can't work this way :D Foothead, i think this is a good response to your suggestion too.
but im glad my question got through to you all. At least now you know what I'm looking for. SO, where can I buy one of these magic boxes? :D There has to be someone that sells this hardware along with a bunch of tutorials online. I know it's been done before. It's impossible for it not ot have been done by us (the anti of companies that have a bundle of hardware shipped to it)

Wait, so you want to sell these? Now I'm even more confused.

Can you explain in detail what it would do? 'sending data to your pc' is about as nonspecific as it gets.

Just get a windows mobile 6.1 phone, you can get one for $100. There are already programs that do this and far more (full remote desktop to name just one)

frankly when i came here, the idea in my head was simple. devices such as gps and those on taxis had to have come from somewhere. they were manufactured and then programmed. i wanted to explore this field. i wanted to buy one of these boxes and see what i can do with them. i keep mentiong gps and taxi because they're the only examples i can think of.
but then foot and organized brought up smartphones and selling the app. so I said that if i wanted to make money out of this then i need as many users as i can have. more users = more $. this means more devices and more work on my part.

gibson, i'll read about windows mobile and see how much it costs to get one here. i dont no what does that application do exactly. from its name its just like teamviewer i guess only from a phone. if thts the case then it wont help. i imagine it could be slow one way or another. when i use teamviewer, the speed at which my mouse moves and actions get done when i press something varies. so i imagine it'll be worse when it's with mobiles over a wireless network.

ppl i apologize. i hope ur not getting annoyed. we can stop here if you want. I called the taxi company and will head over to their office today or tomorrow to ask them about the company they bought the devices from. Then ill head over to that company and get the information I need. Then I'll come back here and write my findings. But lets give this another try :D ill use the taxi device as an example. ill call it TD

so TD is a piece of hardware hooked up right in front of the two airconditioning vents in the middle of the car. It's that part where you have the radio and switches and buttons and the ashtray with the lighter. It's got an LCD screen. the office, upon recieving an order, sends a message to all the cab drivers in the city. the message appears on the screen. whoever is closest to the pick up location (driver knows this because he knows the city. we're not depending on gps btw) presses the button ACCEPT. back at the office, the screen prints a message 'driver xxx in car number xxx will pick up the clients'. If 5 minutes pass for example, and no driver has accepted the job then the order is reissued automatically. When the customer is picked up, the driver presses HIRED. At the office, the screen shows a message indidcating that the customer has been picked up.

Here's a picture of TD
he doesnt press the buttons at the bottom of the screen. just the ones "in" the lcd screen.
30092010049.jpg

I hope this is detailed enough Foot :D

Hello. I just wanted to say thanx to everyone that helped me here. I finally got my ass and when to CERT. They are indeed running a windows CE device (check above post for the pic). Turns out that device has several other devices installed it and it also performs other functions and CERT has its own APIs for this. The meeting lasted for almost an hour. I just sent them a request to purchase a device from them. Something smaller if not similar in size with windows ce in it. No APIs, no software, no extra devices. I dont think it'll be cheap tho. That is assuming they do approve my request. They were rather surprised when I came to them wanting to buy their device. So wish me luck. Ty again!

Back
Top Bottom