My PC is overheating.

airsoftkid

In Runtime
So I finally built that computer I'd been wanting to build, and I got the silicon heatsink compound to hold the heatsink in place. But my computer only runs for like 1 minute, then it overheats.

Can someone tell me what's going on? I can provide any other info that you may need, just ask.

Thanks guys.

Ok so I just realized something, I may have put too much thermal compound on it, because it was somewhat squirting out of the sides and I had to wipe it off. I didn't know you were only supposed to put a little dot.

Wow, you're definitely not supposed to put so much on that it squeezes out the sides, but that wouldn't cause your cpu to overheat that quickly. My guess is that you may have the cpu cooler on wrong, I assume the fan is working on the cooler?

Yeah, I have no clue what my temps are, I have no way of monitoring them.
Also I didn't know I needed a CPU fan, one of the guys on here told me I didn't need one.

Additional info:
3.2 Ghz, P4
mBTX Form Factor case and motherboard

Yeah, I have no clue what my temps are, I have no way of monitoring them.
Also I didn't know I needed a CPU fan, one of the guys on here told me I didn't need one.

Additional info:
3.2 Ghz, P4
mBTX Form Factor case and motherboard
Uh.....that person was wrong, you absolutely DO need a cpu fan. That is why your cpu is overheating so fast. What were you using, just a heatsink? Like one that is on an old PII or something?

Software for monitoring temps HWmonitor

HWMonitor is going to be hard to install on just the bios...

Alright, I'll try a fan, and no I was actually using a heatsink off of the old p4 I had, which I believe had a fan on it, and I actually still have so I'll try that.

I had one of those processors, would get to 80 in less then 2 minutes with the stock fan..

My computer was having the same problem, only my fan wasnt working, turns out my motherboard wasnt picking up the fan.

Back
Top Bottom