looking for software free hardware

wildheart25c

Solid State Member
Taxis where I live each have a small device with an LCD screen. The center sends msgs to these drivers with orders (where to go, new customers, announcements, and so on). The 'desktop view' of the device displays the driver's face, info, and so on. He can click on some buttons to peform w/e functions.
GPS devices are small too. With them you can find your currnet location, the location of the place you wish to go to, and even how to get there.

What I'm looking for is a piece of hardware that performs no fucntion at all. It has no software or OS (i think). Once you purchase this 'souless' hardware, you can program it to do your bidding. What is the name of such hardware and where can I find it? I would at least require the name so that I can check local stores.

Thank you again.

PS. if you have any experience with such a project, please let me no.

I really don't understand what you are talking about, can you explain more? What do you mean by "hardware that performs no function"? Everything has a function.

You want to program your own OS for some sort of computer device? That's a lot more complicated than you think... maybe you just want to make a program or something that starts up as a front end to an OS?

Jeez, just get something based on Windows CE or android and build a program for it. Building your own OS would be absolute hell. The linux kernel has like 2 million lines of code.

What sort of hardware do you require? Just stating that you want hardware means nothing.

everything does indeed have a function and i want to be the one to program that function. and there's no way it'll be a new OS. I tried creating a new programming language from what I learned at the university and it was hell as hell. yes hell as hell :p To summarize, i'll quote my friend "maybe you just want to make a program or something that starts up as a front end to an OS? " That's exactly what I want.

lets take the GPS device. That small box that is included when you rent a car. The box was manufactured at some factory and then shipped off to whatever company that programmed it to perform GPS functions. What I want is to have that box shipped off to me so that I can program it to do a function of my own choosing. If it should have some OS preinstalled then so be it. I don't know anything about Windows CE or Android although I had some plans of checking into the latter after I was finished with obj c for iphones. I'm sorry but I don't know explain "What sort of hardware do you require?". This is the best I could do. Think of all the small hand held devices that you have with you. These pieces of hardware were manufactured and programmed. I need to purchase one of them so that I can program it.
I really hope this helps!!!

Ok, get a tablet or something running linux, and just program a front end for it. In other words, make a program that will allow you to do whatever you want, and have it automatically start up the GUI with linux. Done.

Ok, get a tablet or something running linux, and just program a front end for it. In other words, make a program that will allow you to do whatever you want, and have it automatically start up the GUI with linux. Done.

This. Though I would suggest something along the lines of an old G1 running debian. Most tablets will not have AGPS, digital compass, cell radio, etc. so this makes it more functional as a GPS.

If you could explain what 'functions' you want it to do, that would be a huge help.

Also, my dad has a mio digiwalker GPS, which is definitely running Windows CE. You could get something like that then create a new build then flash/JTAG it.

no no. no gps nothing big like that :D wht i want to do is program it to send data to my pc. it'll be connected via wireless connection.
i guess the most basic function would be to enter a few letters/numbers then press send. this data is sent to my pc via a wireless connection. at my pc, i'll b online. browser. i click refresh and i find the letters printed on the screen. thts it. thts the basic idea. it'll evolve into having a proper interface (looks and functions). but in the end thts wht it'll do. it sends strings of data to my pc

Back
Top Bottom