Computer randomly shuts off with windows xp but not ubuntu?

Fanatic4Christ

Daemon Poster
I've been running ubuntu for the past week or so and I haven't had my computer shut down on me at all but now that I got my windows activated back up it just shuts down randomly... what gives? Why would it only shut down with windows running?

This
Windows = Fail
Ubuntu = Win

This is only speculation, but it could either be a heat issue or a power draw issue. If the system you're working on is the one listed in your signature, then I would personally rule out the power draw as you have ample juice. Ubuntu is less hardware intensive so the Windows install may be producing more heat as it's more needy. I'm reluctant, though, to believe this is the issue but you can always check your system temps by downloading SpeedFan. It may also be a bad install of Windows but I would check the temps first.

Since this only occurs when running windows, I would rule out hardware. I would check into the power settings first and then look at maybe reinstalling chipset and video drivers. I have seen several sleep/hibernation type issues solved by updating these drivers.

I ended up reinstalling windows on my old computer and it works perfect now...

that usually does it, re-installing is generally the easiest, fastest and safest way to fix issues when not hardware related. Glad to hear you got it all up and running.

*I would have suggested to completely scrap windows and only use Linux :p *

most of the issue that people fail to realize is that the user is the problem. either they installed something wrong or got a virus/spyware which ends up messing with the OS. thats why a fresh install fixes the issue 90% of the time.

I have a similar issue. only windows xp pro shuts down. but here's the catch. it has the blue screen of death crash 2 times every time I start it back up after it sits off over night or for several hours.

Guess we can safely say, "LINUX PWNS WINDOWS!" :p

its not hard to pwn windows really, a man with no legs can run better than Vista could.

anyway, on topic, try running a good virus scanner, Malwarebytes, and using utilities to scan for corrupt files. Also, check how hard windows is set to push your PC.

alternatively, just get Wine and use Linux, or get smart and use a mac ;P

Back
Top Bottom