Possible Graphics Card Failure?

tha17

Baseband Member
alright...first off thanks for taking the time to read my thread.

i have been having a problem with my video card (i assume its my video card)

here are my specs:
Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6420 @ 2.13GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: 4094MB RAM
Hard Drive: 250 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Monitor:
Sound Card: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Keyboard: USB Root Hub
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface: 7''x15'' Steelseries Mouse Pad
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Computer Case: Antec

i play games like battlefield 2 (mostly), wow, bfbc2, f4d2 etc....

anyway, lately while playing or even while browsing the web my screen will turn a random solid color... but if i had music or some type of sound going on it would continue as if the computer was still on with no monitor plugged in.

so, thinking it was my monitor i tested it on another computer and it worked fine.

i then decided if its not my monitor it must be my video card
(my monitor pluggs into my video card)

so i popped my computer open and took out the video card, cleard a mountain of dust out of it and put it back in.

now, i cant get anything on the screen except a yellowish solid color.

i also tried using a D-SUB cable (with a DVI adapter) and a DVI cable, which is what i usually use.

so, im guessing my video card finally died.
im just asking if that seems like a logical explanation and if there is some way to check if my video card is indeed dead.
...any recomendations on a new video card would be awesome.

yeah im not an expect, but common sense would tell me theres a problem with ur card, but to make sure, if you can, try it in another pc.

to give u recomendations.... whats ur budget?

yeah im not an expect, but common sense would tell me theres a problem with ur card, but to make sure, if you can, try it in another pc.

to give u recomendations.... whats ur budget?

around $200 prefurably under

id definately go with the GeForce GTX 460, 50 dollers over your budget but its a better card and has dx11.

when buying new hardware its always best to get the best you can possibly get, just so it can keep up with the latest games and you dont have to upgrade anytime soon.

Wait, there is still hope for your 8800.

First thing to do is to check and see if it is still under warranty. If so, RMA it and get a replacement. The 8800 isn't being produced anymore, so they will give you a newer card, and in some cases, a free upgrade to something more powerful.

If it isn't under warranty:

Remove all stickers from the card's pcb
Remove cooler from card
Preheat oven to 395 degrees F
Place card on a cookie sheet top side down (top side is the side with all the components on it)
Bake for 8-9 minutes
Remove from oven and let sit until cool
Serve with rice.

Seriously, except for that last part. What the problem most likely is is the solder connecting the GPU to the pcb has broken. By putting it in the oven, you melt this solder, and allow it to reflow, bridging the bad connection. It seems to work about 75% of the time with NV 65nm card that have this issue, and since the card is totally dead anyway, you might as well give it a shot. BTW, modern video cards are ROHS compliant (no lead) so they won't contaminate your oven or anything.

i was looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=evga_nivida_gtx-_-14-130-434-_-Product

vs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=evga_nivida_gtx-_-14-130-568-_-Product

can someone please explain pros and cons of "superclocked"
does it effect lifetime of the card? (it does come with a lifetime warranty tho)

Out of those two, the 460 is the better deal. Don't spend that kinda money on a DX10 card.

Unless your monitor is like 25bajillion x 16000000, those are both major overkill for the games you mentioned. I suggest something more along the lines of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161316&cm_re=hd_5750-_-14-161-316-_-Product.

Wait, there is still hope for your 8800.

First thing to do is to check and see if it is still under warranty. If so, RMA it and get a replacement. The 8800 isn't being produced anymore, so they will give you a newer card, and in some cases, a free upgrade to something more powerful.

If it isn't under warranty:

Remove all stickers from the card's pcb
Remove cooler from card
Preheat oven to 395 degrees F
Place card on a cookie sheet top side down (top side is the side with all the components on it)
Bake for 8-9 minutes
Remove from oven and let sit until cool
Serve with rice.

Seriously, except for that last part. What the problem most likely is is the solder connecting the GPU to the pcb has broken. By putting it in the oven, you melt this solder, and allow it to reflow, bridging the bad connection. It seems to work about 75% of the time with NV 65nm card that have this issue, and since the card is totally dead anyway, you might as well give it a shot. BTW, modern video cards are ROHS compliant (no lead) so they won't contaminate your oven or anything.

Out of those two, the 460 is the better deal. Don't spend that kinda money on a DX10 card.

Unless your monitor is like 25bajillion x 16000000, those are both major overkill for the games you mentioned. I suggest something more along the lines of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161316&cm_re=hd_5750-_-14-161-316-_-Product.

eh i like to have my options.

like when bf3 comes out with dx11 requirements

alright i guess since i didnt register my Vid card before the first 30 days of purchace i dont get the lifetime warranty...fml

but i did test it on another computer and it didnt work...although the computer i tried it on didnt have a 6pin so i used another psu (i dont know if you can do that) and it still didnt work so i just gave up..

anyway

i kinda feel bad for puting such a good card in a "not so good" setup

if you dont mind telling me what i should upgrade with the video card (like the processor)

because i do plan to play the more demanding games in the future
thank you very much for the help!

Back
Top Bottom