Graphics Card and Motherboard Help

Evyllchyld

Solid State Member
Well first off let me start by saying that I'm going to be building my own rig, but for the time being I need a quick solution to get my current computer to be able to run the new Final Fantasy coming out on Wednesday.

I currently have a Dell Dimension e520, and here are the specs:

Operating System:
Vista

Processors:
Intel® Pentium® D 915 with Dual-Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB)

Memory:
4 gigs of DDR2

Power Supply:
305w

Graphics:
256MB PCI ExpressTM NVIDIA® GeForce® 7300LE TurboCache

My plan for the time being is to buy a new graphics card and power supply just so that I can play the game while I save for the rest of the parts.

The power supply I'm going to order is:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

This will be the graphics card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130567

Once I get enough money to order the rest, I'll transfer the graphics card and power supply to the new rig.

I was just curious as to if that graphics card will be compatible with the motherboard in a Dell e520? I tried looking up the type of motherboard and couldn't come up with anything. (I checked Dell's website and that didn't help either.)

Thanks for any help, and I hope I didn't leave out any information.

You know, I actually had that PSU in my hand and was seriously considering it today. Maybe I'll save the $30 and go with that PSU instead. Thanks for that suggestion.

I'll also consider that video card you recommended. That will work fine with my current computer??

You know, I actually had that PSU in my hand and was seriously considering it today. Maybe I'll save the $30 and go with that PSU instead. Thanks for that suggestion.

I'll also consider that video card you recommended. That will work fine with my current computer??

Yep, it'll work fine. Great card.

I just ran into another problem, luckily I held off on buying things right away. My computer can't fit anything but a single slot video card. Here is a picture of the same computer that someone posted on my car forum:

large.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Remove that huge black box around the heatsink, then add a fan. IDK if that will give you enough space, but it should definitely give some.

Post a picture after you do that.

It isn't just the big black box that I'm worried about, but also what I have highlighted.

largels.jpg

Also, that is the only PCI express slot, so there is actually no way for a double to fit.

They are 1/2" long, but that isn't the only problem.

I'm obviously no pro with computers, so excuse my lack of terminology, but with a double slot video card (we'll use the one you suggested for example), there is no where for the second DVI port to come out the back of the case. I highlighted that area in this picture.

95924785.jpg

1/2 inch should be okay. I just measured all my dual slot cards, and the one with the shroud the lowest still had 3/4 inch clearance.

Most cards have the DVI ports mounted on the PCB, so there would just be an exhaust above them. On a card like a 5850, there would be a DVI port there, but the case has enough clearance that it'd fit, you just wouldn't have access to it. Use the HDMI or displayport if you need a second monitor. The only real problem I see still seems to be the huge box around the heatsink, and possibly the heatsink itself.

My parents have a similar computer. I can go make sure that everything will be okay tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom