upgrade my econobox PC help

luthoro

Solid State Member
I have decided its time to upgrade some of the hardware in my econobox POS. It is a eMachine W3622 (it was free lol). I already installed a 160g hard drive in addition to the original 80g.

Near as I can tell it uses DDR2 memory (2 slots), a socket 775 processor, and there is a PCI-Express slot for a good graphics card. If Im wrong on the memory and CPU socket type please correct me.

My main question is, will any socket 775 CPU work with this chipset? It currently only has a 1.6 Celeron which is pathetic. The current CPUs FSB is 800mhz. What Pentium processor can I upgrade to, to bring this thing at least sorta up to date? Would it possibly be compatible with a Core 2? That would be bad ass.

Also, can I use 2gb or 4gb PC2-5300 sticks, or will it only accept 1gb sticks?

hmmm If I were you I wouldnt put too much money into upgrading that PC, but rather put some money away to make your self a new build which would last you much longer

eMachines are notorious for weak power supplies. Attempting to upgrade it would probably kill it. I had two eMachines, both had the PSU fail, one took the motherboard with it.

Yeah, I know. My "better" eMachine had that happen. PSU went out and took the board with it.

Back
Top Bottom