graphics card and motherboard...will it work?

malkinfleury

Beta member
hey guys, just a quick question. I'm going to be building a computer soon. i just have a question about whether or not the graphics card will work with the mobo i'm planning on getting.

first of all i'll post what i'm planning on getting

AMD Phenom II x4 quad core 3.4 ghz processor
ASRock socket am3/AMD 785g/3-way cross firex/atx mobo
4 gb ram 2x2 1333 mhz (or 1600 mhz...not sure yet...is it worth it another $12?)
(2) 1 tb harddrives (raid 0)
nvidia geforce 9800gt 1gb ddr3 dual dvi sli pci-exp video card

ok, so my question is this:

that mobo comes with built in video, and in the description for the video specs, it says maximum shared memory of 512mb. does that have to do with the onboard video? Will the nvidia video card with 1gb memory work with this mobo? also, the video card says dual dvi, does this mean i can use two monitors? because that's something i'd like to do.

Thanks in advance.

Yes the card will work with your mobo just fine. And with dual DVI you can hook up two monitors and spread out your workspace. I use 2 monitors and will never ever go back to one.

It'll work, but it isn't a card I would recommend unless you are getting it dirt cheap.

If you post up a budget, I could help find a better one.

that mobo comes with built in video, and in the description for the video specs, it says maximum shared memory of 512mb. does that have to do with the onboard video? Will the nvidia video card with 1gb memory work with this mobo? also, the video card says dual dvi, does this mean i can use two monitors? because that's something i'd like to do.

Thanks in advance.

Shared memory is what it is called when system memory is shared with the IGP (onboard graphics). It doesn't apply to add-in cards in any way unless you have hybrid crossfire or something.

Dual DVI means just that- two DVI ports = support for two monitors. Unless of course it says dual-link DVI, which means the DVI is capable of double the bandwidth of a single-link DVI cable, for higher refresh rates or resolutions.

thanks guys...

foothead, i was planning on getting it from computer lx. i don't know if you're familiar with it, but i've had people suggest it to me. And it seems to be the cheapest site i could find. umm, i'm planning on getting this in a few months actually probably. maybe next month or the month after. I don't have the money now. but i have a decent job and i should have the money soon'ish. I would like to keep the whole setup under $1000. With everything i had selected it was around 900. So, i can spend a bit more on the card if necessary. Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

if you want, check out computer lx and look at the choices they have under the AMD build your own computer thing or whatever.

I'm at school now and it's blocked...

Addin boards always trump the onboard video unless, as foothead said (*snerk*) you enable hybrid crossfire with a supported card (the GeForce obviously isn't).

Also cheaper does not always equal good. If you're unsure about a site or store, check out www.resellerratings.com for the full dirt on a given vendor.

i didn't mean that cheaper meant better. a guy i work with ordered a computer from there and he said that what he got was great and they were great to work with. just to make sure, i checked them out on there and they have pretty good ratings.

would it be better to just go with a motherboard without onboard graphics, and to spend more on a better graphics card? Foothead, i'm going to PM you...i hope you don't mind

EDIT: your inbox is full...could you delete some messages?

i didn't mean that cheaper meant better. a guy i work with ordered a computer from there and he said that what he got was great and they were great to work with. just to make sure, i checked them out on there and they have pretty good ratings.

would it be better to just go with a motherboard without onboard graphics, and to spend more on a better graphics card? Foothead, i'm going to PM you...i hope you don't mind

EDIT: your inbox is full...could you delete some messages?

How much do they charge for the cards? You might be able to save some money by adding your own card.

You could also save a lot more money by building the computer yourself. It's a lot easier than you think. Just look up some youtube videos on it. Basically if you can follow directions and plug in a PCI card, you should be able to.

Deleting messages.

Back
Top Bottom