Computer Will No Longer Turn On

CKPGirl

Solid State Member
I have 3-yr old computer that suddenly won't turn on after I shut it down earlier today. Basically, I shut it down using the power button, and once it turned off the fans continued to run as though it was on. The only way I got everything to shut down completely was to unplug it. I managed to turn it on one last time when I plugged it up, but when I shut it down again, the fans(and possibly other things, I'm not sure) turned back on a few minutes later and I had to pull the plug again.

Now it refuses to come on at all, so does anyone have any idea what exactly is wrong and how I can fix it?

The computer is a HP Pavilion a6030n. http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06b/12132708-12133156-12133158-12133158-12133158-79732772-80128535.html

Hmmm it could be anything really. It could very well be anything from your PSU to your mobo. I would start with your PSU. Most of those HPs come with really crappy stock parts and your PSU could have given out. I had a HP that would sometimes turn on and other times it wouldn't and it turns out that it was the PSU. A way to test if its your PSU is to take it out, grab a paper clip, fold it into a "U" shape and stick one end into the hole where the green wire is and the hole where the black wire is at the same time. Make sure you are plugged in to the wall. If the PSU turns on then its not that. Tell us what happens when you test it!

As strange as it sounds, unplug the power and all of the connections, hold in the power button for 15 seconds and let go, then let the system sit for 15 minutes. Plug just the power, keyboard and monitor back in, and try turning it on again. If that doesn't work, your power supply is shot.

Back
Top Bottom