Samsung Galaxy S impressions?

Kage

Golden Master
Has anyone got the Samsung Galaxy S and if so, what do you think of it?

It plays all kinds of audio files as well, including FLAC which is what all my music is stored in, but with a good set of headphones, how good is the quality of the player within?

My contract is almost 6 months in, so on the 4th October, I can pick up a new phone, and I'm thinking of that.

I think it is trying to look too much like an i-Phone, even to some of the theme, but in terms of features, I believe it blows the i-Phone away

I just got the Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S for AT&T) yesterday and it's AMAZING. I bought to replace my extremely bogged-down iPhone 3G which was getting to be intolerable.

The screen is incredibly sharp and vibrant. The phone itself is much faster than I imagined, and it'll be EVEN faster once they get Android 2.2 on it. I have nothing but good things to say about this phone.

As for the audio quality, the stock headphones are better than you'd expect but aren't super high quality. I used my normal headphones (Lenntek Sonix 3's) which I consider to be very good headphones, and the sound quality was great. The built-in music player is pretty good, but I'm certain there are better ones out there (none that I can name, I haven't done much research).

I highly recommend this phone. I was surprised by how quickly I was able to get used to it coming from an iPhone. One thing I know for sure, I'll never be going back to Apple. Android is far superior to iOS as far as customization, features, and speed go. Obviously different people will have different opinions and this is just mine, but even on paper, Android seems to reign supreme.

Thanks Culexor :D

It seems to be a beast in the 3D department as well. I've seen on Youtube for example, it running Quake II & III superbly fast for a phone, since it has a PowerVR GPU built into it.

Thanks a lot for the information about the sound quality. Since it supports FLAC, I would expect them to have quite good circuitry in there.

I'm actually away on the 4th, so they said I could go in whenever, and get it, then have it transferred on that date. I may very well do that tomorrow

I don't own one, but I researched it a lot and spent some time using it in the at&t store. My impressions are that the phone is great, but the GPS is all but useless and the super amoled screen is less sharp than a LCD of the same resolution. It was extremely snappy in everything I tested on it, but the home replacement samsung used (at least on the att version) is terrible. Use adw launcher or launcherpro when you get it.

The GPS issues have been addressed by Samsung and they have already started pushing OTA (over the air) updates to fix it. There are many [fairly simple] guides out there to fix the problem yourself as well.

I found out about LauncherPro a couple of hours after getting the phone and it's a great replacement for the stock launcher. I'm very happy with the current state of my phone, however I think I'm going to un-root it. At the moment, I really don't need it to be rooted. Thank goodness it's so easy to root/unroot.

Kage, I found an excellent alternative music player. It's called cubed. You'll see it in the Android market as a superscript three (you can still search 'cubed' and it'll show up). It's more comprehensive than the stock media player and making playlists is much easier. The only feature you lose is 5.1 surround support, but that's really not an issue for most users. I didn't notice any difference in sound quality, however (it's still pretty darn good).

In other news, I just sold my iPhone 3G on ebay for $225! So it's as if my Captivate was free! (and that includes tax)

Hehe, I'll have to look that player up when I get it, and thanks for the support.

Since I'm going to be getting it on contract, I'm pretty much going to be getting the phone for free anyway :p

*Edit*

I held it today for the first time, and wow, its light...
You know they say that the lighter something is, the cheaper it feels? I got that impression with the device, even though I know its not cheap at all.

Its lighter than my MP3 Cowon S9, and I thought that was light!

I definitely feel it needed to be a bit heavier than that, but the 4th October, I'm probably still going to get it

Back
Top Bottom