Top 10 (20?) Most Common IT Issues?

truffler

Solid State Member
Hi, I've just started setting up my computer support / IT consultancy side to my business and I'm in the process of writing a manual / guidebook which will cover all the more usual issues- both for home computer users and for small business networks.

So I was wondering, what other people's takes are on the top 10 (or top x) most common problems that tend to occur and people phone up about, both for home computer users, and also for small business networks with a single location- and maybe the best fixes for these.

I have my own ideas based on experience down the years, but everyone's experience of such things is different so I'm not going to base my expectations purely on what I've experienced myself from years ago.

I'm sure there'll be a lot of variety!

Network issues. dealing with routers, wireless security, modems. Thats a huge one.

It really depends on your company tho, people generally call tech support depending on what it is they need help with, aka an isp if its network related, a hardware company if its motherboard or something related.

These are my top 5 with some solutions under each

1. Computer won't turn on.
---Not plugged in all the way
---Frozen in sleep mode
---Dead power supply
---Hardware (RAM, MOBO, HDD)

2. Computer won't connect to internet.
---Modem/Router needs reset
---Ethernet cable unplugged
---Wireless switch turned off

3. {Enter software name here} isn't working right.
---Needs updated
---Needs reinstalled
---User error "doing it the way they always do" but if they close the program and retry it "magically" works this time

4. Can't print.
---Printer not plugged in (power or network)
---Print queue stuck on old print job

5. OS errors.
---User error "doing it the way they always do" but if they close the program and retry it "magically" works this time
---OS issue (fixed with update)
---Reload OS

number 1 issue:

"I've forgotten my password" or "I've typed in my password wrong and now my account it locked"

Number one issue is definitely ID10T error. I've seriously had to go to my dad's and turn his computer on for him, because he was pressing the button on the BD-ROM drive instead of the power button.

Also, my brother somehow managed to 'accidentally' format his computer and end up with a completely different OS on it. I still have no idea how the hell he managed that.

Other very common issues I've run into are bad memory, virii, blown PSUs, OS issues, driver issues (usually conflicts of some sort), HDDs dying, overheating, usually caused by an excess of dust, dead disk drives (Dell pos rigs always have the crappiest drives...), bad backlight inverters (extremely common on laptops) and Gateway (yes, I am listing Gateway as an issue. If you don't understand, try using one of their computers without reinstalling the OS first)

"I've forgotten my password" or "I've typed in my password wrong and now my account it locked"
This.

"The computer isn't letting me log on! It says my password is wrong but I'm DEFINITELY typing it in correctly. And I haven't changed it."
"OK, could you just double check caps lock isn't on for me?"
"Don't be so stupid, I wouldn't have..."
"Hello?"
"Don't worry, it's working now."

I'd put together some type of free anti-spyware/anti-virus package that users can download (or put it on a disk).

Back
Top Bottom