External Graphics cards for a laptop...

Pacblu202

Solid State Member
Can i run ffxiv? need help with specs!

Hi guys! Im trying to run final fantasy xiv on my new-ish laptop. I just bought the laptop in April and there's no way in hell im going to get a new one just for this game but i really want to play it. The requirements for the game are all met by my computer except one...and as u all have probably guess its the graphics! What a surprise that a laptop cant run something haha well anyhow, the requirements are-
Video Card
Minimum: 512 MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600 series / ATI Radeon HD 2900 series or equivalent
You Have: Intel(R) HD Graphics (Core i3)

Thats what i have according to canyourunit.com

Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
Required You Have
Video RAM 512 MB 1.7 GB
Hardware T&L Yes Yes
Pixel Shader version 3.0 4.0
Vertex Shader version 3.0 4.0

From right there none of that makes sense to me... I have everythign its asking!

The actual break down of my Graphics card is-

Total Available Graphics Memory: 1755MB
Dedicated Video Memory: 128MB
System Video Memory: 0MB
Shared System Memory: 1627MB

Even tho it says only 128MB of dedicated, cant it feed off of the Total available to reaqch the min 528MB? Can Anyone please help!!! I have like 10 days to figure this out before it comes out. Also If i cant run it as is, can i buy an external graphics card? i know they exsist but would it work? can anyone give me a link or recommendation?? Thanks sooo much!!!

Re: Can i run ffxiv? need help with specs!

Unfortunately the issue you are having is not about the amount of video RAM that you have, it is about the physical power of the chip set.
Your video card is not powerful enough to do the amount of graphics processing, at the speed at which that particular game requires.
There is a sloution, an external graphics card, the only one I know of at this moment is actually called ViDock. It connects via the 34mm express card slot on the side of your laptop.

Core i3 graphics are shite. Anything from Intel for graphics is a joke for gaming. I wish they'd get their thumbs out of their arses and get with the program instead of merely trying to pass certification for Vista / 7 Aero requirements.

Re: Can i run ffxiv? need help with specs!

Unfortunately the issue you are having is not about the amount of video RAM that you have, it is about the physical power of the chip set.
Your video card is not powerful enough to do the amount of graphics processing, at the speed at which that particular game requires.
There is a sloution, an external graphics card, the only one I know of at this moment is actually called ViDock. It connects via the 34mm express card slot on the side of your laptop.

and if my computer doesnt have a 34mm express card slot on the side?!? :/

You're not going to run the game on that computer, the graphics just aren't fast enough, nor do they have enough VRAM most likely.

The H55/H57 chipsets run Intel's GMAHD (essentially a GeForce 9400). Which as OG stated, are just to pass Aero requirements. The VRAM it runs off of is system RAM. But to an extent. It's much slower, and can't provide the same results. Further, as Agent Zero said, there simply isn't enough power behind an Intel GMAHD to run a game requiring a 9600 (G94 GPU). Though the number difference is small, the GPU power difference is fairly large.

There are some USB adapters, but iirc, they feed right off of your graphics card's capabilities. Tbh, you need a better computer to play it. You can easily build a desktop to accommodate that game for about 400 USD (no OS).

Back
Top Bottom