Why do I always have graphics problems?

jcon891

Daemon Poster
Hi, haven't been here in a while! forums are looking great :)

I have been thinking about this for a while. Okay I have built 5 different PCs for myself, 4 or 5 for other people. The problem I always have pertains specifically to World of Warcraft, and very few other games.

Every system I've had has been windows XP or 7. I have had a Geforce 6800 GTX, 7600 GTX SLi, i've gone through three 7600GTX cards in total, and at the moment i am using a 7900 GTX. I have 2 of them. One is in the computer, one is not. When i got the 2 video cards i have currently, they were brand new.

My problem is, with every build i've ever had, I have experienced horrible graphic problems. Every card i've ever used has eventually had to be replaced because of excessive screen tearing or pixel stretching. I have worked and worked to keep temps down, and the card temps ALWAYS are between 35 Celsius and 50 Celsius. I always keep dust away and I am very good about airflow. BTW I have used both of the 7900GTX cards i have until these glitches started happening. now both are busted. took about 4-5 months each card. very frustrated.

The only place that these graphic glitches occur normally, (and unfortunately one of my favorite things to do on the computer), is in WoW. I have seen other games have the same issue but nowhere close to as bad as wow. I think the only other game i've really noticed it in is F.E.A.R.

any help is greatly appreciated.
btw the other specs for my current build:

WinXP
AMD PhenomII X4 940
Asus M3A76-CM Mobo
4GB G-Skill DDR2-800 ram

i am using an 800W Antec PSU. I am not sure how it's relevant though, this has happened on 4 out of 5 builds over about 5 years. all different power supplies. easily enough wattage in all of them as far as i know.

that's a good question and come to think of it, every card i've ever bought is EVGA except for one of my 7600GT's. it was XFX.

If you're buying quality hardware, what kind of power are you getting from the wall? That is to say, how are you plugging these systems in? UPS? Power Tap? Surge Protector, etc? Even high end equipment can't filter all the nasty line sags & spikes out. Keep in mind if you game without VSync on, you'll get a lot of tearing in some games.

i've always just used normal surge protectors from walmart or whatever is closest at the time. and vsync is always on unless i'm messing with vid card settings trying to get the tearing to go away. Thanks for the replies. would better surge protection help? and GibsonSGKing, Thanks. i understand a 7900GTX is not top of the line, but it should be perfectly fine for WoW. I plan to upgrade later this year :) can't wait.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here...

How do you know what you're seeing is abnormal? What if you're just really, really picky about visual defects that everyone else has accepted as normal?

The only reason I thought I'd take on this stance is because of how many cards you've been through with "no solution"

Please understand it's just me trying to think outside of the box. :)

Back
Top Bottom