I think my temp sensor is broken

bentomo

Baseband Member
I'm running on an i3 and I wanted to start overclocking, so I installed prime95 and realtemp. I ran a control prime 95 and started up realtemp and almost instantly my temps went from 34C to 80C. I turned off p95 for fear for my processor, then installed speed fan and it said the same thing, I though the i3 wasn't supposed to get that hot, even when ocing. I only have the stock cooler and I put arctic silver 5 on it, but still it says 80C.

It happens almost instantly too, right when I start p95, it should go up that fast, I think my temp sensors aren't working, what do you guys thing?

It's definitely possible if you don't have good contact between the CPU and heatsink. Make sure the pins are pushed down all the way and are in the locked position. If that doesn't help, take it off and reapply your Arctic Silver 5.

I guess that's my first option, the only other option is to get my temp monitor early and use actual probes, I can try re-seating the heatsink with new compound. But if something like that were true I wonder why it idles fine.

CPUs consume much more power at full load than at idle. I've been in a similar situation, except I completely forgot thermal paste lol. Luckily the CPU survived and still works to this day.

I was saying if the heatsink was unbalanced in a way and wasn't coming into contact with the cpu well then even idle would be a bit above normal.

I see your point. I would still take it off and check though. It only takes a few minutes and is worth it if it means not frying your CPU.

Wow I feel dumb, I didn't set the tjmax setting. What is it for i3 530, I can't find it?

I did pull off the cooler, I didn't do a very good job of mounting it the first time, it's all good now.

After re-seating the cooler I still peak at 70c on p95.

I'm thinking it's the tjmax setting, a difference of 5 takes off about 10 degrees.

tj max is just the max temp right? (thermal junction maximum)

I thought the i3 had a max temp of 70, but when I put that in I get less than -10c, which is obviously not right.

Back
Top Bottom