New to the forums but have a question

skillsforilz

Solid State Member
Hi, I'm Tommy and I'm new to the forums. But to get started, I have a question, and I think this is in the right section. But anyways, I got a new laptop today. I like to play computer games but since I didn't buy this computer, I didn't get to specifically get to choose which one I'd like. My mom just bought it for me for school and other uses. For games, do you really need the name brand NVIDIA GeForce graphics card even if your graphics card already has the T&L, vertex shader, and other stuff, higher than the minimum? Or will it run? I'm kinda confused.

I doubt whether it will play games.
It's probably mainly a word processor PC.
It still won't work if you update your graphics board.
Get a game and try it.

Supposively the new integrated laptop graphic cards are supposed to be better than they were before. I looked up my specific GFX card and it's the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD. I looked up on canyourunit.com if this could run GTA IV and this is what it says. I failed at the graphics part, but where did I fail?
Recommended: My Computer
Video RAM: 512 MB I have 1.7 GB
3D I do
Hardware T&L I do
Pixel shader version 3.0 I have 4.0
Vertex Shader version 3.0 I have 4.0

Anything with an Intel GMA video "card" is going to suck at gaming, I don't care which reviewer glosses it over for their viewers.

If you want anything with any gaming potential, it needs to be from EITHER nVidia or ATI (S3 used to be good at one point years ago too) and has to be a DirectX 9 part at a minimum. There are some cards from those two companies that's just as horrid at gaming as the Intels are however, so tread carefully.

Hey, I'm Tommy Boy.....welcome to the forums!

Most laptops aren't good for gaming anyway, I would think a Sony Vaio would be no different. But you can try a game, you may have to reduce the settings but you might be able to play it. Just don't expect good performance. What sorts of games do you play?

Well mainly FPS, Rpg's, sandbox games, etc. I like a bunch of different types of games. Oh, and also RTS games like Empire Earth and Age of Empires. I know laptops aren't good for gaming. But apparently this Intel GMA HD is similar to the NVIDIA GeForce 9400. That's why I was asking about it.

i had sony's top of the line laptop from 06, it recently craped out on me cuz i played starcraft 2 on it. (settings were set at very low) at first it ran SC2 pretty decently but then the screen would periodically start to glitch out, then BSOD. turning it back on, the laptop runs for a few minutes then an error message appears stating hardware damage has occurred and it would have to shut down to prevent any further damage.

here are the specs of my old sony. maybe it will be helpful.
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/VGNSZ330PB_mksp.pdf

You can use a ton of laptops for gaming, I don't know what they are talking about. Desktops are just more recommended because you can get more power out of them, obviously when your working with more space like that, your going to gave more power options. But yeah, Nvidia or ATI for the most part. ATI drivers suck though fyi.

Back
Top Bottom