Fix registry on alternate disk drive?

Fanatic4Christ

Daemon Poster
Fix registry on slave hard drive?

None of the programs are allowing me to do a registry scan on my hard drive. I'm on a old hard drive and have my newer one plugged in as a secondary drive. I've downloaded 2 different programs and they only work for the one that I booted on, which is the wrong one.... help pls?

Well the thing that happened is it says it can not boot because "windows/ ect ect / system" can not be located. I have no clue where my windows cd is to repair it... I tried a iso but it was in a different language.. Im stuck on my Ipod for now till I cqn get this fixed :(

Do you have an OS on both drives? From the way you make it sound, there's an OS on both drives. If the OS was installed on the same machine for both drives, then you'll need to get a Linux Live CD to boot from. Once you have booted from the Live CD, copy the D:\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM registry file to C:\Windows\System32\config. Again this is assuming that both drives have an OS that was installed on the same machine. If the OS on the other drive was installed from another machine then this may work, but Windows is going to go nuts with activation errors as it's detecting a new spectrum of hardware. If this is not a plausible route for you, then unfortunately, you will need the Windows disc to restore the registry file.

Do you have an OS on both drives? From the way you make it sound, there's an OS on both drives. If the OS was installed on the same machine for both drives, then you'll need to get a Linux Live CD to boot from. Once you have booted from the Live CD, copy the D:\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM registry file to C:\Windows\System32\config. Again this is assuming that both drives have an OS that was installed on the same machine. If the OS on the other drive was installed from another machine then this may work, but Windows is going to go nuts with activation errors as it's detecting a new spectrum of hardware. If this is not a plausible route for you, then unfortunately, you will need the Windows disc to restore the registry file.

I'm sorry I should have been more specific. I have 2 harddrives and both have the same copy of windows xp sp2 on it. So what I'm seeing that you are saying is that I need to install linux on one of the drives and then copy the windows system file from the good hard drive to the bad one?

Not quite, you just need to boot into Linux with a Live CD and copy the SYSTEM registry file from the good harddrive to the bad one. No need to install Linux as this will only make matters more complicated.

Ok, after having to download it on 2 different cd's and multiple problems, I'm running off ubuntu right now. Now the question is, How do I access my files on my hard drive? I've never used this before =\

Thanks for the help so far guys

If there's no answer by the time I get off work, I'll boot up into Ubuntu and get you the exact steps.

Back
Top Bottom