New School Year, NEW Build!

GhostGT

Daemon Poster
Hey guys and gals. It's been a long time since I've posted around here, miss ya all. ;)
I'll keep it short and simple. My buddy is finalizing a new rig for his house tomorrow off Newegg, and we specced a build at my house a few hours ago.

Basic guidelines:

$1000 budget
Normal to heavy computer use, casual gaming, HD video viewing
Fast, dependable, quiet, overclockable

I designed this build for him posted below. I'd love any suggestions and comments please. I realize that the case may be something worth upgrading is noise level is an issue, but comments can really help. Oh, and the HD will suffice.

Total comes out to just under $1000.

29971414.jpg

Best,

Chris

I'm not sure that switching RAM is worth it here. The small performance loss from not running in his supported dual channel probably won't be noticeable.

At any rate, if you plan on going 4 gigs or more swap out the OS for 64 bit. The 32 bit you have selected won't see past 4gigs and 64-bit windows 7 is rock solid.

Looks like a good build except the CPU and Motherboard you have doesn't support the triple channel RAM you have. Only the 1366 socket motherboard supports the triple channel. So you would be better off going with:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145315 for an 8 gig of ram set or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145285 for a 4 gig set.

But other than that looks good!

Interesting observation. I didn't know this! Would you say that a switch to a 1366 socket i5 and matching mobo would be worth the addition of triple-channel? Or am I better off sticking to the current build?

I'm not sure that switching RAM is worth it here. The small performance loss from not running in his supported dual channel probably won't be noticeable.

At any rate, if you plan on going 4 gigs or more swap out the OS for 64 bit. The 32 bit you have selected won't see past 4gigs and 64-bit windows 7 is rock solid.

Thanks... totally forgot about the limitations.

I'll run this by him and see what he thinks, but he prefers an Intel build.

Interesting observation. I didn't know this! Would you say that a switch to a 1366 socket i5 and matching mobo would be worth the addition of triple-channel? Or am I better off sticking to the current build?

There is no 1366 socket i5 so you would have to upgrade to the i7. So it would cost more at that point. Vin's build is a good build.

Thanks for the input all. Friend decided that he wanted an i7 build instead. We specced a pretty kick-ass system for just under $1100.

Back
Top Bottom