Computer not powering on

Roy3447

Solid State Member
So recently my computer has been doing very wierd things such as turning off, and restarting while playing games or just being idle for no reason. At 1st I thought it was a virus so I scanned my computer with norton 360 and found nothing. So it keeps happening and i just pretty much ignored it,and one day my computer wont turn on. I find out its the PSU and I replaced it today, Now I already have the new PSU installed yet it still turns off randomly and I cannot figure out why. My PSU is a 680 watt and my comp is a quad 2.7 with a 9800 gtx and some fans and usb plugs but well under the 680 wattage. Also I do keep it ventilated and my cpu temperature is around 40~ so its not the cpu that is overheating. I made sure the plug in the back is nice and tight and all the wires inside the computer are plugged in properly, yet it still crashes.I'm thinking maybe the motherboard may be the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas why this is happening?

I did buy a new 680 watt power supply and used it for a couple of hours. Then next day i tried turning on my computer and it would not boot up. I tried jumping the PSU (1st time trying connecting green/w black) and it did not turn on. However when i connect to the motherboard the green light does come on. I tried checking the mother board for bulging capacitors but did not see anything. Now I can't figure out if if its the motherboard, the psu, or both. I think its strange that a brand new psu would die out after a couple of hours. Does anyone have any suggestions as I need this computer ASAP for work/school.

Do you have a surge protector ?
Check your power use.POWER OPTIONS CONTROL PANEL.
BY THE WAY CHECK YOUR SCREENSAVER NONE ON

first and quick question, how much are you spending on your PSU? do you have a specific model?

I have found that decent 350 watt PSUs can be more reliable that cheap 600watts :?

Something for consideration anyway!!

Well, I cant check the power control panel since my computer wont turn on, and no its not a screen saver. I checked the obvious but sometimes missed things, power plug connected, and turned on, yes I do use a surge protector.

The PSU was about 25$ just a psu I bought from the store, but I've used their other psu's before and it usually last a couple of months. But I never had one that blows out after a couple of hours which makes me think that its not just the PSU but something else. I do plan on replacing the PSU after checking that it is dead for sure, but should I also buy a new motherboard?

Power supplies that cost under $40 and weigh as much as an empty bag of flour are worthless, you get what you pay for. Don't use cheap power supplies if you care at all about your system.

Cheap power supplies can also do what I think may have happened here, killed your motherboard with out of spec voltages. The only way to be sure is to buy a NAME BRAND power supply, which means putting down some money for it ($59 to $89 is average) and trying to start it up. If you still have problems, you can isolate a problem piece of hardware by removing parts and trying to turn it on again until it does, or you run out of parts (i.e. more than one stick of RAM, try using just one stick at a time, etc) and if you get to the point where there's nothing left for the system to power on and it still doesn't work, then the mainboard is fried, and lesson learned.

Well do you guys think that any of the other parts are damaged or just the motherboard? Because if i do buy a new psu and mobo and it still doenst work,I would have to wait to get the money to the other parts, and I would rather save and just get all the parts I need at once in the future rather than part by part right because I dont have a lot of money =(

Do you have any friends with computers, just borrow their psu? If that doesnt fix the problem then it must be the mobo. Or make sure you try the surge protector with other stuff first. Sometimes they have fuses that can get blown in them and that is all that needs to be replaced. And what kind of surge protector is it? Some just totally need to be replaced when they take the surge, but I am pretty sure they make a clicking noise when that happens.

Back
Top Bottom