Help for a new SLR camera

jmacavali

Fully Optimized
I'm looking for a new digital camera. Right now I've got a few in mind.

Sony Alpha DSLR-A380 with 18-55mm & 75-300mm lenses.

Sony Alpha DSLR-A390 with 18-55mm & 55-200mm lenses.

This is just my first search and what I found. I like the price range and that it comes with 2 lenses. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Any reason why you've decided to go with Sony, and not Nikon or Canon?
You really are limited in terms of lens. Not to mention, they'd be a lot more expensive most likely.

Just from reviews I've read, they don't perform half as good as their siblings image quality wise for the same price

When in doubt, go with canon. Nikon cameras are good, but their lenses seem to be subpar.

A four thirds system would also be a good choice if you do most of your shooting during the day. You get great choices in lenses, and the price tend to be more reasonable. The tradeoff is that you get a somewhat smaller sensor, and a different aspect ratio (could also be good if you prefer 8x10s). btw, I mean four thirds, not micro four thirds. Big difference.

I've been happy with my Canon Rebel XSi. The new T2i just barely tops the Nikon D90 in noise performance from what I've read. I can't really comment on Nikon cameras since I don't really know much about them.

I'm going to be getting the 550D otherwise known as the T2i ASAP

You can never go wrong with Canon, they make some of the best out there. I'm on my third Canon, 2 cameras and 1 camcorder.

Ok so if I get a Canon EOS Rebel T2i, what kind of lenses should I get.

What type of shooting will you be doing?

You can never go wrong with Canon, they make some of the best out there. I'm on my third Canon, 2 cameras and 1 camcorder.

They really are amazing. I've still got an old full manual canon slr, and back in the day that thing was near impossible to beat.

Lol I remember having to use a light meter and calculate the proper settings. Those were the days.

Unless you are going to be photographing wildlife or something, you should probably forgo the massive telephoto lens. My camera came with a 40-150mm and I have probably used it ten times at the most. What I suggest is to get a general purpose zoom lens, something like the one the camera comes with, and get a fixed lens about 50mm equivalent with the widest f stop you can afford in your budget. Macro lenses are also nice, but a decent one tends to be obscenely expensive. But again, it all depends on what you will be shooting.

BTW, my camera automatically does a 2x teleconversion (no idea what the technical name is). If this is the case for whichever one you buy, you will need to change lenses accordingly.

I'll be mostly taking picutes of my family/friends. I'd like to start taking some nature scenes. Not so much landscape as like shots of flowers and stuff like that. I'm going to save up for about a month and probably get the Rebel T2i. Will post pics once I get it and get some good ones.

Back
Top Bottom