replacing cpu question

tj107us1

In Runtime
I curently have a Intel core I7 930 and was thinking about replacing it with a Intel core I7 980X 6-core cpu and i am using a ASUS p6x58d-e mobo. Would it be a direct replacement or is bios of the mobo set to the 930 cpu and would i have to buy a new mobo?

thanks,
tj

Yea, the ASUS P6X58D-E is a great motherboard and with a BIOS update it will run the i7 980X.

And by the way, if you can afford the i7 980X then go for it. I would!

:D

as remi said you dont need another mobo... ur current one can handle that cpu... but dham u got madd guap... thats one sexy cpu...
just wondering what u gonna do with ur current i7 ... if you dont want it send it here lol:D

I wouldn't upgrade to the 6 core processor, there really isn't a need for it yet. There is nothing out there that utilizes it. The one you have should do you just fine for now. Upgrade later.

well guys it problly be a while if i even get to do it, i dont have $1,000 just laying around but i just wanted to find out if a mobo can have two different cpus or if you have to get a new mobo for a different cpu.

Are you talking about like switching them out from time to time or like "once i use this processor with this board it can't be used with another processor?"

I wouldn't upgrade to the 6 core processor, there really isn't a need for it yet. There is nothing out there that utilizes it. The one you have should do you just fine for now. Upgrade later.

I'll disagree a little with this.

If your running CAD/Audio/Video/Production applications and you have money burning a hole in your pocket then upgrade to the i7 980X. It performs as good as some of the dual CPU 1366 i7 Xeon machines which cost a hell of a lot more than one i7 980X.

Otherwise don't bother, unless you have money to burn.

It's a great CPU.

Back
Top Bottom