GTX 460 card has lower FPS than my old 9500GT. help please?

Ascendant

Baseband Member
Just got my new gtx 460, went to play Starcraft II, and the frames on it are worse than when I was using my old 9500 GT. Nothing else has changed in my comp, so I'm at a loss. I completely deleted all old drivers, installed all new drivers, got the latest version at nvidia, installed physx, etc. Below is my system specs:

motherboard - ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
cpu - AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core
ram - Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
video card - EVGA 01G-P3-1371-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
hard drive - Western Digital Caviar RE 160GB Sata 3gb
psu - XCLIO Goodpower 500w
sound card - Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE
OS - Windows XP

When I talked to a rep from EVGA, he told me to check my ram settings, which I did and they all seem fine. He said it might be issues with running a 460 on a win xp OS, but I know of plenty of other people who have done it without issues, though from what he explained you can't run higher than directx 9 on windows xp? Other than that, the only other thing he mentioned is that my processor might be holding me back, but not sure about that because even on cinematics, it gets a bit choppy here and there.

I'm at a complete loss here as to what I can try to fix this? I mean at this point I'm so disappointed I'm tempted to just open an RMA and return this new video card. If anyone has any suggestions from personal experience, I'd really appreciate it.

I don't know much about the Nvidia drivers but could it be possible that you are running the old drivers with the new card? That could cause a problem. When I upgraded video cards I had issues wiping drivers that were giving me problems.

Are you sure you put it in the PCI Express x16 slot and not the x8 slot? Double check with your motherboards manual.

More modern cards don't like DX9. It's old and doesn't have all the current DX goodness. You can try to update your DX. Don't know if it'll work. I'd just bite the bullit and upgrade the OS.

More modern cards don't like DX9. It's old and doesn't have all the current DX goodness. You can try to update your DX. Don't know if it'll work. I'd just bite the bullit and upgrade the OS.

That makes no sense to me. I'm using an HD5770 and DX9 runs great on it. I've never heard of any of the recent cards having issues with dx9, I really doubt that's the problem here.

Back
Top Bottom