Connecting video card with PCI-E adapter?

Ascendant

Baseband Member
Ok, just found out that though my PSU is advertised as having 2 PCI-E 6-pin connectors, one of them is actually a molex adapter to connect 2 4-pins together. This is my PSU here:

Newegg.com - XCLIO GOODPOWER 500W 500W ATX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

The new graphics card I'm getting which I need the 2 PCI-E connections is this:

Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1371-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

The rest of my main system specs are:

motherboard - ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
cpu - AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor ADX250OCGQBOX
ram - Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
hard drive - Western Digital Caviar RE 160GB Sata 3gb
dvd drive - LG 18x DVD+-R DVD Burner with 12x DVD-RAM
(one other dvd drive as well)
case - XION II XON-101
sound card - Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE

Now, from what I've researched, it seems like cause of having to use that adapter, I will be sharing power between that one connection to the video card and everything else in my computer on the same rail? Just wondering if anyone here would be able to tell me if this power supply should be enough or if I will need a new power supply for this video card as well? I have a friend with a very similar setup who is ok, but I wanted to double check here and make sure?

If I do end up falling short on power because of the adapter, it will simply cause my computer to shut off when using heavy system resources, right? Not sure how else I'd be able to tell if I'm pushing the PSU for more than it can give me? I'd really rather not get another PSU if at all possible, cause the upgrades I've already spent money on have left me extremely tight as it is.

Shop at a local store and help

eh, what? did you mean shop at a local store and *get* help? considering they would be looking to make a sale on me, i don't think they'd have my best interest in mind there. they'd just be interested in providing me with what they have in stock that's well more than what i need for a hefty price.

i would just go ahead and get a new PSU
it would be easier on you

that's definitely not the easier choice for me here. thing is i'm not all that familiar with exactly what i'd be looking for in a PSU, so for all i know i could end up buying something that isn't even as good as what i currently have. i mean from the info i've read up on so far, it seems that how many rails it has and how much juice is on each rail is more important than the overall wattage. on that note...

after doing some research, it seems like i should be fine with the goodpower PSU and a 460. saw some other people on some other threads with similar specs to what i will have, plus i saw a lot of good things said about the goodpower. though it is a bit old now, it was designed with SLI in mind, has 2 rails, and should be more than adequate. see, that's why i wanted to ask on here though is i had no idea what i was looking for. now that i do, it seems like buying a new PSU would've been a complete waste.

one question i did still have however is does it matter at all which two 4-pins i connect the PCI-E adapter to? i don't believe it makes any difference but want to make sure?

i still have some input for you
if you have alot of different rails, then your total power is split up
which could be a disadvantage
there are some that still use one massive rail
and some people like that
if you feel that you can still use your PSU
then connect 2 of the molex plugs from different cables
i.e. not the same cable for both molex connectors to the 4-pin
hopefully you would draw power from different rails, but im thinking thats not likely
the thought behind that is so that it would evenly place the work load on the PSU instead of just one rail
here is a $90 600W PSU
it would be a good choice

i still have some input for you
if you have alot of different rails, then your total power is split up
which could be a disadvantage
there are some that still use one massive rail
and some people like that
if you feel that you can still use your PSU
then connect 2 of the molex plugs from different cables
i.e. not the same cable for both molex connectors to the 4-pin
hopefully you would draw power from different rails, but im thinking thats not likely
the thought behind that is so that it would evenly place the work load on the PSU instead of just one rail
here is a $90 600W PSU
it would be a good choice

Thanks for the info. Like I said, no choice is easy for me because I'm not all that familiar with PSU's. For now due to financial reasons and the fact that I've seen several people now using this PSU with similar specs to what I'll have, I'm gonna give it a shot. I mean worst case scenario is during graphic extensive games my comp will shut off, and I'll know for sure I don't have enough juice. We'll see what happens, I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks for the info. Like I said, no choice is easy for me because I'm not all that familiar with PSU's. For now due to financial reasons and the fact that I've seen several people now using this PSU with similar specs to what I'll have, I'm gonna give it a shot. I mean worst case scenario is during graphic extensive games my comp will shut off, and I'll know for sure I don't have enough juice. We'll see what happens, I'll keep you guys posted.

Stick with what you have and try it out, I only have 500W and have no issues on my main rig. I do get shutdowns, but that's because of heat!! Need new thermal paste and a better case :(

Back
Top Bottom