Weird error when deleting files

jmacavali

Fully Optimized
I am receiving a very weird error when moving some files. It is coming back telling me that the folder S-5-3-42-28189952290-....(a whole string of other numbers) is write-protected or the disk is full. I'm moving a folder that contains multiple other folders which all contain different files.

Here's what I've done so far.
1. The hard drive I'm moving to has 100 Gb free and the whole folder is roughly 10 Gb.
2. I have full control over the files I'm moving.
3. There is no such folder or file (hidden or not) in the folders I'm moving. I can obviously browse and look for it, but I've also done a search for it (making sure to include all hidden/system/etc files).
4. I have removed the Read-Only attribute on the entire folder.

It also happens if I try to delete the folders instead of moving them.
Also, if it doesn't happen in every subfolder. So I can move 3 or 4 and then I'll get the error. I won't be able to move that subfolder, but I can go on and move the next 2 or 3. I have the problem on at least 5 of the first 20 or so subfolders. There are roughly 100 or so subfolders so I don't want to have to move each of them individually.

The confusing part to me is the error itself. I don't know how 5 or so subfolders all contain this file/folder that won't let me do anything to.

Has anyone ever experienced this or have any ideas on what to try next?

What OS are you running?

From what I've found online (If you Google just S-5-3-42 you'll find many results) this is a malware issue that is pretty hard to remove.

Try the latest MalwareBytes and HiJackThis. If those do not work, I've read that Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 will solve the issue, you can download the trial, clean your PC then uninstall.

You have not given enough deail,but to guess.YOU HAVE xp,right.
Is this called DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS ?
This is a system folder and files saved for a Restore on this drive.
Right ? More details please.I have a post on copying my music HD.
No write protection to all is easy first.

What OS are you running?

From what I've found online (If you Google just S-5-3-42 you'll find many results) this is a malware issue that is pretty hard to remove.

Try the latest MalwareBytes and HiJackThis. If those do not work, I've read that Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 will solve the issue, you can download the trial, clean your PC then uninstall.

Hmm....interesting. It's XP. I was thinking that might be my next try.

This sounds stupid... but have you tried emptying your recycle bin?

Yes it's already emptied.

You have not given enough deail,but to guess.YOU HAVE xp,right.
Is this called DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS ?
This is a system folder and files saved for a Restore on this drive.
Right ? More details please.I have a post on copying my music HD.
No write protection to all is easy first.

No it's not the Docs & Settings folder. I don't understand anything else you were trying to say.

Well whats the files called.Why hide it and ask this ?
First you want to move , then you want to delete (yikes)
How do you expect advice with this detail ???
:rolleyes:

What file and called what? I don't know what your talking about.
Hide what and ask what? Still don't know what your talking about.
Yes first I tried to move the files and when I got the error I was going to delete them and got the same error. I thought it was unusual.
I got plenty of advice from InfectionZero and j03.

I will be trying InfectionZero's advice today and will post the results.

Back
Top Bottom