(NEW) What OS do you use currently?

Well I'd better get my OSs listed in hurry then before this one gets closed up!

Windows 7 x64 host OS
Vista HP x86 second drive
XP Mode on MS Virtual PC and VM Lite Workstation for XP Mode
ubuntu 9.10, Mint 9, Knoppix 6.2, OpenSUSe 11.2, Puppy 5.0, and even had 98SE on SUN Oracle Virtual Box
ubuntu, Puppy Linux, Knoppix live cd or dvd
ubuntu, Puppy on Portable Virtual Box used for flash drives

And what is your system specifications? I just ran the 32bit 7 Ultimate on a 6yr. old build and simply installed the original XP drivers for everything!

What were the specs for that old boat?
cpu=AMD Atholon XP3000+
memory= two 512mb DDR400 dimms
board= Asus A7V Socket A(462)
video+ NVidia GeForce FX5200 128mb AGP 4x/2x
sound = Realtek onboard not even seeing Vista updates
Hard drive= 80gb ide

I then added in an old Creative Audigy 2 model sound card and the web updater took care of that. 7 ran well on that oldie!

I use Windows 7 Ultimate on my desktop rig ONLY for gaming or if I'm walking somebody through something. I use Ubuntu for everything else: surfing, music, homework, videos/movies, etc. I have Virtualbox in Ubuntu, and besides having Windows 3.1, 98, OS/2, Damn Small Linux, Fedora 4, Slitaz, and a few others, I have XP Pro (taken from my old rig) for when someone comes along with an XP problem I need to research.

The host here is the 64bit Ultimate with the XP Mode, a few VPC VMs, VM Lite Workstation with the XP Mode there, and several flavors of the smaller distros like ubuntu 10.10, Puppy 5.0.1, openSUSE, Knoppix, and even a totally new one Linux Mint Debian that won't be seeing any newer version but updates for all the preloaded programs! Larger then life being 938mb on disk.

If you are running Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate editions you can simply download the XP Mode which is XP Pro on a VM. No fuss about setting up a dual boot. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

If you are running the W7 Home Premium then you would use the VMLite Workstation. This also helps when your system lacks support for the MS Virtual PC. Download - VMLite Products

Since you run ubuntu at times another option to consider would be the Oracle Virtual Box where you can see both XP and ubuntu on separate virtual drives. Oracle VM VirtualBox | VIrtualization | Oracle

Back
Top Bottom