New USB sound card makes headphones way too loud!

abowlofrice

Daemon Poster
I bought a Turtle Beach Micro II and now it makes my Sony MDR v6 way too loud. I am using windows 7 - 64bit. I have to keep my volume bar for windows on 1/100 and keep media player (windows media player, youtube, flash videos, etc) settings on very low to prevent blood from coming out of my ears.

Is there a way to adjust the scale so that I can have my volume bar at 20% and not be ridiculously loud?

With any set of headphones besides those used for online chat or something like messenger or Skype look for those with a volume control. Without one present the software's own mixer is the alternate if you have a volume control panel similar to what is seen with Creative brand sound cards.

Look in the Start menu for a folder there for the software to see if it is present or a separate application download at the support site for that brand.

If you would really like to, you could wire a resistor/potentiometer in the cable going to the headset, and have your own hardware volume control *shrugs*

Then you need to know what one would work. You can't simply toss just any potentiometer at it. Some would oversensitive while others could be turned or trimmed all the way and simply do nothing.

The first things there to look at however are the Turtle Beach application to see if that or any individual component for a volume control is available at the support site. Most sound cards as well as the applications for onboard sound have a level mixer/speaker settings app of some type.

Then you need to know what one would work. You can't simply toss just any potentiometer at it. Some would oversensitive while others could be turned or trimmed all the way and simply do nothing.

The first things there to look at however are the Turtle Beach application to see if that or any individual component for a volume control is available at the support site. Most sound cards as well as the applications for onboard sound have a level mixer/speaker settings app of some type.

I'll be honest, I have no idea where to even start with resistance. I guess just start with a 50 ohm pot and go from there until you find one you like?

I'll be honest, I have no idea where to even start with resistance. I guess just start with a 50 ohm pot and go from there until you find one you like?

That's why places like Radio Shack stay in business! They keep selling the parts to people experimenting with things! ;):D

As far as a potentiometer that actually changes the resistance from one value upto another depending on the range. This also effects the current which then effects the signal strength to a degree. Plan on buying a box full for sure for trying that out.

(also the votage rating if too high is intended for something else and usually won't work.)

One thing I made sure of when looking at any new pair of headphones was to see a separate volume control on the cord or one of the ear pieces for corded or cordless models rather then running into the too loud or too low problems.

Your options if no volume control or level mixer is found in the card's own software or updates would be swapping cards or headphones that have a separate control. That's the unfortunate circumstance.

But it seems unlikely that the application part wouldn't have it in some form. And that is precisely what it does have according to the images on the TB support page. http://www.turtlebeach.com/support/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=520318781

That shows the Windows mixer right next to the Audio Advantage mixer for that model.

If you would really like to, you could wire a resistor/potentiometer in the cable going to the headset, and have your own hardware volume control *shrugs*

haha I dont think i will cut into my headphone cord to put in a resistor. that will probably affect the sound quality.

That's why places like Radio Shack stay in business! They keep selling the parts to people experimenting with things! ;):D

As far as a potentiometer that actually changes the resistance from one value upto another depending on the range. This also effects the current which then effects the signal strength to a degree. Plan on buying a box full for sure for trying that out.

(also the votage rating if too high is intended for something else and usually won't work.)

One thing I made sure of when looking at any new pair of headphones was to see a separate volume control on the cord or one of the ear pieces for corded or cordless models rather then running into the too loud or too low problems.

Your options if no volume control or level mixer is found in the card's own software or updates would be swapping cards or headphones that have a separate control. That's the unfortunate circumstance.

But it seems unlikely that the application part wouldn't have it in some form. And that is precisely what it does have according to the images on the TB support page. http://www.turtlebeach.com/support/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=520318781

That shows the Windows mixer right next to the Audio Advantage mixer for that model.

most studio headphones don't come with volume adjusters but thanks for the advice.

Right click the speaker icon in the tray and select > playback devices
A window opens and you select the output you want to customize.
More than likely from the volume level you describe, the headset is being treated as speakers. You'll have to set the master volume to compensate.

Right click the speaker icon in the tray and select > playback devices
A window opens and you select the output you want to customize.
More than likely from the volume level you describe, the headset is being treated as speakers. You'll have to set the master volume to compensate.

i will try that!

I just ran into a small freeware download call Sound Control 2.15 over at tucows that might work? http://www.tucows.com/preview/224552

But in case you do change your mind about adding in a separate volume control.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYaT3Q7gwQc

the bases will be covered. :D

thanks for that program!

Back
Top Bottom