How do I make a batch file play automatically just BEFORE the PC goes into Standby?

glnz

Solid State Member
How do I make a batch file play automatically just BEFORE the PC (WinXPPro SP3) goes into Standby?

Why do I ask? I'm having trouble with Wake on Ring. I want my Conexant modem card ALWAYS to answer my fax line and receive faxes, but it is NOT reliable about waking up when the PC is in standby. Sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't and I miss faxes.

So I wrote a very short batch file that has two powercfg command lines that seem to work in reminding the PC and the Conexant modem card that they should Wake on Ring during Standby. How do I get this batch file to play automatically either just before standby or (second-best) every 30 minutes or so when the PC is awake?

Thanks.

I'm not sure how to execute a program before the machine goes into standby - you can specify scripts to be run at shutdown easily (Start -> run -> gpedit.msc -> computer configuration -> windows settings -> scripts) but, as per the name, those scripts will only execute at shutdown.

Every 30 minutes when the PC is awake is dead easy though. Start -> control panel -> scheduled tasks -> add scheduled task - then just follow the wizard through. Don't worry about entering details of when the schedule should be run at this point though (because you can't tell it to run every 30 minutes here, you have to do it afterwards - silly design flaw if you ask me.) Once the wizard has completed, on the last screen, check "open advanced properties for this task" (or something similar.) Firstly head over to the settings tab and make sure "wake the computer to run this task" is unchecked. Then go to schedule, hit advanced. Uncheck end date, check repeat task, then choose every 30 minutes.

OK out of those boxes and job done :)

Dear berry: Your advice above might be useful for a different problem: My office PC, with WinXPPro SP3 and 2 GB RAM, hangs on shutdown, and I'm fairly sure it's the application GoToMyPC that causes the hang. My office PC has GoToMyPC running so that I can access it from home. Love that program but don't like it causing hangs on shutdown.

So, what script would I write to shut down GoToMyPC first before the rest of the PC shuts down? I've never written a script.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom