Six-Core rigs.

So from what I'm gathering is that the race for faster and more powerful hardware has finally slowed down?

It's been slowing down for a long time now - you may have seen enthusiasts rush out to buy quad cores yes, but the majority of people? Not really.

The race has actually flipped completely - Intel's atom motherboards are flying off the shelves. There's a couple of projects I'm thinking of where I'd use them and why not? You can pick up a motherboard with onboard graphics, sound and networking with a dual core atom processor that draws barely more than 30W under full load for around £60. That's pretty damn impressive, and no it's not going to rip through 1080p content or play the latest 3D games but for internet browsing, facebook, typing up a few letters, playing older games and so on it's fantastic. That's all most people need these days!

I'll be looking at a new rig probably in the new year; my first powerfull gamer since '98 so i might go for it.
I remember back then everyone was in awe at 98SE running 1GB of RAM :p

I'm actually considering one of those Atom setups for my pfsense box, berry. The system I have now is fine, but a P4 3.0 GHz with HT is really overpowering for a simple pfsense box. ;)

For the folks who have an AM2+ system and want to jump to a hex core, keep in mind AMD isn't as limited to memory bandwidth like Intel CPUs seem to be. I'm seeing very little differences in hardware that use DDR2-800 / 1066 compared to DDR3-1066/1333.

I have a quad core, as you can see, and I have an i7-920 at work, and I'm hard pressed to find enough work for all 4 cores to do on my Phenom II, nevermind a work PC that does office tasks.

Quad is where the sweet spot is right now, but the hex cores are nice if you do a lot of rendering or photo manipulation work.

I haven't gotten past 2 cores yet. :p I almost upgraded my desktop with some insurance money I got from a dead system, but it didn't cover enough of the cost. My dead system (P4 2.8 GHz, 768MB ram) got replaced with an AMD 2.1GHz, 2GB RAM system and I used the insurance money to buy me an HTPC with an AMD dual core. Got a dual core in 3 computers and a single core in 1. :rolleyes: I'll upgrade my desktop one of these days when I get some money again. It's going on 3 years since I built it.

Back
Top Bottom