ubuntu help

OK because if you do a Search for Wubi you will find it and if you do a Search for Ubuntu you will find it.

So I thought they are two diferant programs.

So if I get Ubunntu 10.9 it will have Wubi are you sure YouTube says dif

Ubuntu and Wubi are two different programs, but Wubi is included in the Ubuntu installation, and yes I am sure as I used the 10.04 Wubi installer on my netbook.

Ok
Wubi is a windows program verson so it will be installed just like any other program.

I want to know if I get Ubuntu 10.9 and make a Live CD and put it in it will ask me.
Run From CD
Install.........this will make me Partition my drive and do a install like this but it wont be the Wubi.

The Wubi verson lets you install right into Drive and set a space for it to use as Fack Hard Drive and you dont have to go thought partitining the drive

Will this come up if I use Ubuntu 10.9 or will it just want me to do a Full install??????????

Ok
Wubi is a windows program verson so it will be installed just like any other program.

Right.

I want to know if I get Ubuntu 10.9 and make a Live CD and put it in it will ask me.
Run From CD
Install.........this will make me Partition my drive and do a install like this but it wont be the Wubi.

If you boot from the CD, then you will get the option to Install and partition the drive or just run the Live CD, which will also have an install option on the Ubuntu desktop once loaded.

The Wubi verson lets you install right into Drive and set a space for it to use as [fake] Hard Drive and you dont have to go thought partitining the drive

Right.

Will this come up if I use Ubuntu 10.9 or will it just want me to do a Full install??????????

Wubi is included in Ubuntu 10.04, so if you pop the CD in whilst in Windows, then you'll get the Wubi installer autorun to come up.

I am going to install Ubuntu as a Stand Alone OS next to my Win XP Pro. So it will be a Daul Boot System.

Now I know the right way to do this is when I install win xp I would Partition the drive in Two.

Then Install win xp on One Partition and Ubuntu on the other.

But I already made one Partition and installed win xp on it. So the MBR is down and it sees just One Partition.

Now I know Ubuntu give you an option to Shrink the One Partition win xp is on. And make another Partition and install Ubuntu on it.

What I don't understand is this?
When you make Partitions at the start before even win xp is installed the system is putting the Partitions down. But when you already have a Partition down and you Shrink it am I right that you are Re Writing that Partiton and making a new MBR?????????

If I have one Primary partition down and win xp is useing it then when I shrink it is it compressing it?

Or what am I not getting??

Hi,

You are on the right track mostly. What will happen when you go to install Ubuntu is that it will see all the partitions on your hdd. Since you already have one that is for windows xp, you won't have to do anything with that.

You made a second partition, did you actually partition it off and format it an ext3, ext4 or did you just leave it as open space? If you partitioned it off and left it as open space that is best so that you can format it to whatever you want. However, if you partitioned it and formatted it to a format that isn't supported you will just have to reformat that partition and install from there.

To answer your question about your MBR Ubuntu installs the boot loader called GRUB2. This is a program that runs your MBR. It will write over your windows MBR saving the hdd and partition points that you have so that you can boot from it, it might even show it as Windows XP.

Hope this helps you a little bit.

Cheers!

Than you for your help I understand part of it now thanks.

But what I ment about Partitions is this.

Say I have a 400 GB hard drive and I make 2. partition each 200 GB. And install win xp on one and Ubunto on the other I know you first have to partition the drive and then format each partition and it must be a FAT Ubuntu sees I get this way.

Now the way I have it allready is my drive is patitioned with just 1. partition and win xp pro is on it and is useing the whole partition.

Now I know I can do start from the begeaning and make 2. partitions and format one for win xp and format the other for Ubuntu but everything on my drive will be Waped off.

So Ubuntu has a way of taking the Partition you have allready and Shrinking it to make room for onother partition for Ubuntu.

When you do this the partition that you have already that win xp on will not be Waped off you are just Shrinking it not re doing it.

What is going on here s it being compressed to make room for another partion?????

Back
Top Bottom