Novice! External Hard Drive HELP

Wolf1

Beta member
Hello all, glad to be here.

So I have very little computer experience as far as terms and technology are concerned. I have learned the programs I need and a few games but I am far from a computer expert (I still use AppleWorks 6 because I like it lol).

I need to get an External Hard Drive im looking into at east 1tb maybe 2tb. Im hoping you can help guide me in the right direction. I will be using it as a back up and main storage (i.e for things not kept on my CPU). I also think I would like one with firewire so it transfers faster.

Far as what I will be storing is well everything but that includes, PDF's, Text Files, Links, Mp3's, Photos, I am a theatrical and concert lighting designer and technician so also visual rendering, plots, and vector works files.

I have a MacBook Pro 10.5.8. I honestly don't even know how it talks to my computer and how I transfer information to it. Can I simply just highlight everything on my desktop (including the Hard Drive) and just pull it over to the icon of the External Hard Drive and that's everything? but it seems like that would miss my photos and music?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you all in advance!

Hello Wolf, welcome!

Newegg.com is offering Western Digital Elements 2TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive WDBAAU0020HBK-NESN for $109.99

I know your post said you wanted firewire for better transfer speeds, you are correct that it is faster than High Speed USB 2.0, however firewire is not standard on all computers.

This G-TECH G-DRIVE 1TB USB 2.0 / IEEE 1394b / eSATA Silver External Hard Drive 0G00199 offers USB 2.0, Firewire 1394b AND eSATA for $159.99. From what I've read online, the eSATA Express34 Cards cause problems with 10.5.8 (you will need a card as MBP does not have a eSATA connection)

For what you're trying to do, High Speed USB 2.0 will suffice for simple back ups of docs, pics, music, files, etc. If cost is not an issue, go with a drive with both USB 2.0 and Firewire so you have the option of both connections.

Best of Luck!

Back
Top Bottom