New Windows and Hard Driver Question

bizerk

Baseband Member
Hello, a few days ago I had a computer problem that forced me to re-install Windows. I've been wanting to upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit (from 32-bit) for a while now, and what better time to do it than now that I have my data saved. Also, I would like to upgrade to a bigger Hard Drive, seeing as how I have to install the new Windows, why not?

My questions are:

- I built my computer myself buying the individual parts, and I bought Windows Vista 32-bit and it says "OEM System Builder Pack - Intended for system builders ONLY." How does that differ from the other Windows, and would I have to buy the Windows 7 64-bit one that also specifies for "System Builders only?"

- And, probably not, but better be safe... Upgrading to the new Windows and replacing my Hard Drive, would I have to check any other piece of hardware in my computer, or can I just put in the new Hard Drive, install the new Windows, and go?

Thanks in advance

It differs from the other windows in almost no way at all, just no frills and fancy packaging.

And you should just be able to pop in the new drive and go

The OEM means its supposed to be used once for that build and is tied to the mother board you used for that build. You don't need to get the OEM version of window 7 you can get the upgrade version as long as you have the original vista disc. But you will have to start from a formated hard drive to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. You will start with the windows 7 disc and it will ask for the vista disc and key number to verify that you are upgrading.

There is a difference between the OEM and Retail versions of Windows. The retail version you can install on multiple computers and won't have any problems with it if you want to build a completely new computer. Where as the OEM versions you can install once and once its installed its tied to that motherboard. So if for any reason you have to change to a new motherboard or replace the one you have you have to go thru Microsoft and hope they like your sob story about needing a new mother board and will reactivate that specific key.

There is a difference between the OEM and Retail versions of Windows. The retail version you can install on multiple computers and won't have any problems with it if you want to build a completely new computer. Where as the OEM versions you can install once and once its installed its tied to that motherboard. So if for any reason you have to change to a new motherboard or replace the one you have you have to go thru Microsoft and hope they like your sob story about needing a new mother board and will reactivate that specific key.

Just to clarify, with retail, you can install it on multiple computers but it can only be one system at a time. The only version of windows that allows one key to be used on multiple machines at any one time (legally) is Enterprise which is only available as OEM to businesses.

It's not quite as bad as that. Working in a repair shop I've had to deal with that many times and all you need to do is say the computer crashed and you're reinstalling. They'll let you do it every time.

Ok, it makes sense... Now, if I was to take advantage of these upgrades I'm doing on my computer and buy a new motherboard as well, would it be wiser to buy the Windows 7 64-bit for System Builders Only?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom