Strange Network Issue

So heres my setup:

INTERNET > Netgear DG384 Wireless Modem > Wireless Network (1 PC, 2 Laptops, 2 Phones, 1 Xbox 360, 1 PS3)

So everyone can ping back and forth except between my Phone and my laptop. I Can ping both from the Modem's Interface fine. Yet if i try to ping inbetween my phone (192.168.0.9) and my laptop (192.168.0.10)
i simply get a Destination is unreachable error. I Have tried turning off my firewall (Zonealarm) and my Anti virus (Avast) and i have tried dynamic and static IP Adress's.

Im all out of ideas,any clues?

Update:

Now this is weird. I just tried pinging my laptops IP from the laptop itself. The Ping Times out. Funny thing is, if i ping localhost (127.0.0.1) i get a 90% Fail rate. Most packets just time out?

See if there's an update for the laptop's wireless drivers - or try another wireless dongle in the laptop and see if that makes a difference.

Very long shot here and might seem like a weird thing to ask - but if you just run the laptop on its battery (unplug it from the wall) does that make any difference?

Updated the Driver (Ather 5007EG Chip) and tried on and off the battery and still the same problem.

Checked my Host files and there A-Ok.

TRACERT Returns the same error that PING Gives me.

Ran the Microsoft Troubleshooter and it said it could be the firewall service that runs regardless of the firewall being on or off,so i disabled the service all together and still no go.

Tried Ressetting Winsock and my hosts info

As found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259/

and here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=299357

Update: No computers in my network (Except the router) can ping my either my phone OR Laptop. WTF.

I Think my router is being a B*tch.

Can I ask why you are concerned about being able to ping stuff? It's possible that the "ping service" is turned off or blocked (I know there is some kind of setting that does that though it's not called ping service but I forget what it is really called).

That's the thing, i can access my phone via telnet, access my phones files via FTP wireless, use my phone as a wireless security camera, etc, etc. I Cant do any of this because my phone and laptop refuse to talk to each other!

I Think its my router because at my brother in laws place, they talk fine!

it's called ICMP echo.

There's a fair chance that this'd be disabled on your phone, as you wouldn't want your phone to be so visible as to respond to ping requests when you're connected to a data network.

As for the laptop, I'd check firewall settings of both your 3rd party firewall (zone alarm) and the windows firewall settings.

Yes it would seem then that there is something in the router causing the issue. Is the security the same on yours as it was on the working wifi?

Just out of curiosity, have you tried just to access the files without pinging? Just wondering if the ping isn't working (because of it being blocked) but file sharing and everything is.

Under my network there is no talking between my phone or laptop, no pinging, file sharing, they just time out or says the destination is unreachable :(

The only difference between the 2 networks is the one that isnt working is a Netgear DG834G and the one that is working is a Thompson cheap arse generic modem.

Back
Top Bottom